Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crunch...

Crunched the Surf this morning...

Down a snowy single track lane, met someone coming the other way, and we met rather abruptly! We both stuck our noses into the hedges to avoid a head-on (only walking pace, but sliding on the snow!), with the result that my upper spare wheel hanger took out his drivers mirror and rear offside window, while his roof line took out my off-side rear quarter window. The front nearside corner is a bit bruised as well, and the spare wheel carrier is skewed, so doesn't open and close properly.

Now trying to sort out the insurance - anyone know if a UK pattern window will fit in here?
    Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

glad your ok mate - stuffed mine in a ditch before xmas so know how you feel
    Bunkle
    Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Sorry to hear of the crunch. Just out of interest what tyres are you running? I've a long way to go in snow and a few threads recently have indicated how the heavy surf can slide away a bit too easily for me!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibeg
        Sorry to hear of the crunch. Just out of interest what tyres are you running? I've a long way to go in snow and a few threads recently have indicated how the heavy surf can slide away a bit too easily for me!

Dave
        Yokohama Geolandar I/T - Ice and Snow tyres! Unfortunately they still don't stop you sliding downhill on packed icy snow

The new Geolandar MTs look better...
        Peter

Comment

I've just had a set of these fitted and they're much more grippier in the snow/ice than my mud tyres were.

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=229&vid=912

Comment

during the course of his 330,000 miles in his thingy rover my dad tried just about every AT tyre you could think of including baja, bf goodrich, armstrong (really expensive but good) etc and he still says the general grabber at's were the best out of the lot so now they have this new At2 i reckon they must be a good bet
            Bunkle
            Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
              during the course of his 330,000 miles in his thingy rover my dad tried just about every AT tyre you could think of including baja, bf goodrich, armstrong (really expensive but good) etc and he still says the general grabber at's were the best out of the lot so now they have this new At2 i reckon they must be a good bet

They run silently on the road too, no 'humming' like the mud tyres do.

Comment

sorry to hear about your crunch captain beaky
                I had near miss the other day, so can sympathise! and i was going really slow too - these things are fine until you touch brakes! I was in 1st gear at time, and engine braking, so couldnt even drop down a gear to slow down!
                hope you get it sorted

drove a 40 yr old series2a landy today, in snow and it was better than the 4 runner, but i think thats the much narrower tyres it had, and it was SWB, which might make it more stable
                Landcruiser Colorado
                Sub. Forester

Comment

Thank you, folks. Now trying to deal with a glass repairer - Toyota won't, apparently, look for theglass without the frame number as well as the chassis number, so that will have to wait until I get home. Probably means it won't now get done until next week.

Knew I should have got some new tyres and a winch bumper - could have steered straight into the hedge and not damaged anything!
                  Peter

Comment

On the subject of tyres how do you remove the spare from underneath the rear?mine has a spring type thingy and i cannot see how it comes undone.need to know as spare is flat.New to surfs any advice would be welcome......
                    my life,my choice, my4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle
                      Sorry to hear about your crash - its never good when that happens - I have AT2s on my Surf - and today they were excellent got me out at 07:00 helping clear stuck cars from the village road and got me to the office on time too!!
                      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by Beastie69
                        On the subject of tyres how do you remove the spare from underneath the rear?mine has a spring type thingy and i cannot see how it comes undone.need to know as spare is flat.New to surfs any advice would be welcome......

Lift up the rear seat and find what looks similar to a starting handle.
                        Insert through hole in rear bumper and locate into ring, turn handle and spare tyre will lower on a chain, frankenstein stylie.

Clive.
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Apropos of frame numbers - can anyone tell me the difference between a frame number and a chassis number? They appear to be the same thing.

Or is someone at Toyota taking the p1ss 'cos it's an import?
                          Peter

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
                            Apropos of frame numbers - can anyone tell me the difference between a frame number and a chassis number? They appear to be the same thing.

Or is someone at Toyota taking the p1ss 'cos it's an import?
                            I think the frame number is the KZN185 bit, and the chassis number is the KZN185 bit AND the bit after that, but I might be talking rubbish..
                            It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                              I think the frame number is the KZN185 bit, and the chassis number is the KZN185 bit AND the bit after that, but I might be talking rubbish..
                              the frame no is for example kzn130-and 7 numbers
                              the model number is for example y-kzn130w-and 5 letters
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X