4wd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4wd

Well it was fun getting to work this morning...came out the house and heading down the A12 to Dartford, snow was coming down thick and fast.

Tried to use my 4WD and the 4 green lights flashed, so did the orange light and they just kept flashing...

All ok now but it was a bit of a pain.....
    [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Originally posted by angusglover
    Well it was fun getting to work this morning...came out the house and heading down the A12 to Dartford, snow was coming down thick and fast.

Tried to use my 4WD and the 4 green lights flashed, so did the orange light and they just kept flashing...

All ok now but it was a bit of a pain.....
    Should have bought yourself a second generation. Just push the button and go!

Comment

You did not engage it, you should have stopped and reversed a bit then forward, you will hear it engage and the lights stay on
      SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Originally posted by beaufighter
        Should have bought yourself a second generation. Just push the button and go!

erm... 3rd gen has a push button too!!

i'd have gone for the centre diff open though.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Mine did the same. You need to try it once a week to get it into the Habit
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Yep. 3rd Gen has a push button. I had a 2nd Gen a while back ...3rd Gen is faster but 2nd Gen was more comfortable...

I thought I was in diff open mode (I had the lever forward and left...)
            [I][B]96 3rd Gen in bluuuueeeee[/B]I]

Comment

Originally posted by angusglover
              Yep. 3rd Gen has a push button. I had a 2nd Gen a while back ...3rd Gen is faster but 2nd Gen was more comfortable...

I thought I was in diff open mode (I had the lever forward and left...)
              should be just the green lights that come on for open diff
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                erm... 3rd gen has a push button too!!

i'd have gone for the centre diff open though.
                I know it has a push button. I just put mine in and away it goes, no problem with flashing lights.

Whatever anyone says, the 2nd gen is tougher and simplistic.

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
                  You did not engage it, you should have stopped and reversed a bit then forward, you will hear it engage and the lights stay on
                  As a matter of interest, this is similar to what is required to get the 4WD light to extinguish on a 2nd gen. ie you have to back-up about 6 feet to get the 4WD light to go out.
                  Does anyone know if when 4WD is de-selected and the light stays lit, if its actually just the light, or is it still in 4WD, as its not always safe to reverse?
                  Cheers
                  Trev D.

Comment

The light advises you its in 4wd goes off when it disengages
                    The lights on its still engaged
                    (\__/)
                    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                      The light advises you its in 4wd goes off when it disengages

Thanks. I asked because I like to try the 4WD out at regular intervals (preferably in the wet and usually on a straight bit of road). Problem sometimes I have to make a turn before I can get the 4WD to disengage, and I know its a problem in a 2nd gen and its not always possible to reverse.
                      Cheers
                      Trev D.

Comment

If in 4WD, press the switch and lift off the throttle pedal, as soon as you press the throttle again, it will disengage.
                        And vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          If in 4WD, press the switch and lift off the throttle pedal, as soon as you press the throttle again, it will disengage.
                          And vice versa.
                          Hopefuly! Your SURF may be lazy In that the previous owner never used it so you need to wake it up
                          (\__/)
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                            Hopefuly! Your SURF may be lazy In that the previous owner never used it so you need to wake it up

No, that's how it works. If you try an engage or disengage 4WD while still pressing the throttle, the gears can't mesh.

Comment

VINCE i meant as the 4wd may not have been used a lot it may need some time to respond. As that slidey bit inside the transfer case may stick sometimes. IGNORE me.
                              WHAT HE SAID!
                              Last edited by marky; 8 February 2007, 15:55.
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                              X