Dam, Dam, Dam, I’m NOT happy!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dam, Dam, Dam, I’m NOT happy!!!!!

Took my Surf into the garage this morning because of a slight miss-fire…….

Just had a call to say they have run a number of tests…….

And guess what? One of the HEADS HAS GONE!!!!!!!

Asked if they could just do the passenger side (it’s a V6) but they said they it should normally be done as a pair…. cost about £800 (probably plus VAT).

So now I’ve got to consider if it is worth spending the money on this truck, considering that it also needs new tyres at around another £400 + (just glad I didn’t buy new tyres last weekend).

Apart from being a bit sluggish when cold and having a slight (intermittent) misfire, the Surf runs fine. It’s such a shame as the vehicle is in really good condition otherwise.

I’m not sure how long the Surf will last if I continue to drive it….. but I am in the RAC.

Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

£800 for 2 heads is cheap. I wouldn't have any problem coming to terms with that price. Leave the tyres till all the forthcoming snow has melted, it'll make for some fun driving......
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Gasket failure in V6's is as well documented as the 2.4 heads, but it is usually just the gaskets, unless its been a while and the coolant has damaged the block or head face where its been running through, but its unlikely.

If we lived in the US, Toyota were up to recently still changing H/G's for free, or labour free under a 'Special Service Campain' but due to the rarety of the V6 in the UK I doubt you'd get anywhere over here.

Heat Gasket sets are about £100, so £700 is all labour?!?!?!
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

V6s are a little different from the diesels as there is a known fault with the original HGs that Toyota kind of took responsibility for. Do you know if yours have been done already? If not, might be worth reading this and thinking about it a bit. I say 'might', not will.

Personally, I'd get it done. Other than problems with the HG/head/manifold (read Yotatech if you want to know all about it) the V6s are considered pretty reliable and £800 isn't that much.

If you do a lot of miles, you could consider getting it LPGd whilst it's being messed around with.

Comment

Just looked at some of your previous posts and see you had a 50,000km engine swapped in. That would make it about head gasket popping time. Once you've had new ones put in, you should get a lot of miles out of it as long as the block's OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
            Just looked at some of your previous posts and see you had a 50,000km engine swapped in. That would make it about head gasket popping time. Once you've had new ones put in, you should get a lot of miles out of it as long as the block's OK.
            Yeah, my Ex's V6 4Runner was done by Toyota at 55K, just before we brought it.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.

I first noticed the misfire over Christmas but the Surf has not been used much due to my being in Egypt most of January.

I doubt Toyota GB will want to know especially since it is a replacement engine.

I will have to give the situation some serious thought….. yes, I’ve got the money for the heads to be done and the tyres will last a few months yet….

BUT if I do go ahead and get the work done…. What is going to break next? The Gearbox????

Then there is the fuel consumption (17 mpg around town) which is costing me about £200 per month.
              Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
                Then there is the fuel consumption (17 mpg around town) which is costing me about £200 per month.
                That's why you get it LPGd at the same time.....

Tyres should be about £300 for four, less if you don't need white writing or fancy manufacturers.

The gearboxes seem to be pretty reliable as long as you keep the fluid in good order.

The way I look at it (you might not), new cars lose about £2k a year in value (if you're lucky) so old cars can take up to £2k a year in looking after.

Comment

If you are thinking of selling it as it is I may be interested as I want a petrol model. Any pics or spec appreciated if you are.

Comment

Originally posted by beaufighter
                    If you are thinking of selling it as it is I may be interested as I want a petrol model. Any pics or spec appreciated if you are.
                    All the best people have them. This one's being going round ebay for months. I reckon he might go for £2k cash. It's like a jet fighter compared to a 2.4.

Comment

The surf on ebay does 24mpg hahahahahahahahaha
                      Just swap if for yours and away you go thats 7 more MPG!

LPG might be the way to go if you manage to get it working (mine still not there but as I am out the country, it is just an expensive addon thats sitting in the drive!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                        All the best people have them. This one's being going round ebay for months. I reckon he might go for £2k cash. It's like a jet fighter compared to a 2.4.
                        Thanks, looks good but it must be auto.

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
                          Took my Surf into the garage this morning because of a slight miss-fire…….

Just had a call to say they have run a number of tests…….

And guess what? One of the HEADS HAS GONE!!!!!!!

Asked if they could just do the passenger side (it’s a V6) but they said they it should normally be done as a pair…. cost about £800 (probably plus VAT).

So now I’ve got to consider if it is worth spending the money on this truck, considering that it also needs new tyres at around another £400 + (just glad I didn’t buy new tyres last weekend).

Apart from being a bit sluggish when cold and having a slight (intermittent) misfire, the Surf runs fine. It’s such a shame as the vehicle is in really good condition otherwise.

I’m not sure how long the Surf will last if I continue to drive it….. but I am in the RAC.

If i were you i'd call STEVO 0161-476-6144
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel
                            £800 for 2 heads is cheap. I wouldn't have any problem coming to terms with that price. Leave the tyres till all the forthcoming snow has melted, it'll make for some fun driving......
                            hell thats good, head change on a v6 vectra? £1200 give or take the odd pound.
                            The benchmark....

Comment

Originally posted by huff_diggler
                              hell thats good, head change on a v6 vectra? £1200 give or take the odd pound.
                              It's cheaper on a surf because you don't have to bend down to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X