Wierd Rear brake squeak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wierd Rear brake squeak?

Noticed my truck started squeaking last night, but only when reversing. Jacked her up and span all wheels by hand and there was nothing, so I got an unwilling volunter to reverse the truck while I ran along side listening at different places, and I think its coming from the rear brakes.
    Last week I took the drums off and blasted the Salisbury rebbish out with the compressor, and didn't notice anything wrong then. I have been a really good boy since Tony adjusted the brakes and put the handbrake on at least once a week so the adjusters tighten.
    Does anyone have any ideas. I'm loath to touch the rear brakes, as the last time I did it she had no rear brakes until Tony put it right.
    It only does it in reverse ( I checked this by getting the unwilling volunter to drive forwards with me running alongside (thank good there were no cameras)), and it sounds just as if a pad is just catching every half turn.
    Unfortunatly I'm starting a long run of nights tonight so I won't get a chance to look at her for about a week, but I'd apreciate any ideas.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

I've had knackered UJ's that squeak in reverse, but sound fine going forwards.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

What would I be looking for with the UJ. I did my usual check on it last night - pop her in N get underneath and see if I can get the UJ to make any clonking noise - and all seamed fine.
      Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

If you grab either side of the UJ and wiggle, it shouldn't move, but sometimes they are tight not baggy, and you have to take the prop out and wiggle the joints and find tight spots.

If its really bad you can spot it by getting someone to roll the truck backwards or forwards, then you can look for the shaft 'twiching' when it gets to the tight spot.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I think you might be right about the UJ. I let her roll down the hill at work backwards in N and there was no noise, she's only doing it in reverse and with throttle ie pressure on the drive train. So it looks like the order I was going to place with roughtrax next week will be increased!
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Tony you were right on the money. I've just taken the rear prop off and there is an ever so slight sticky spot on the rear UJ. Didn't show up at all while still attached. This will be my third set of UJs in five years, once I order them of course. In the mean time front wheel drive truck only, must watch where I park it when walking the dogs (better actualy use car parks for a while).
            Thanks for your help, she'd have been sold by now without you and this Forum to back me up.
            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

The search button does it again!!

i was gonna post this question, but thought a quick search might uncover something, and here it is!!

basically my truck does a squeek in reverse when reversing. its quicker that the wheels themselves turning so not the brakes and only does it when in reverse and not neutral.

sounds identical to the above yes??

so what do i need and how easy a job is it to fix? can i not slap it full of grease and carry on??

will it be easier to fix as the truck's on 33's with 2" body+ 2" sus lift?

oh i'm so happy its been diagnosed!!

aren't you pleased i searched first!

martin
              Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Oh my, has it been that long since my last UJ change!

Problem is I'm now sitting here trying to remember how I did it, I can remember useing the press at work to put the new UJ's in, but I can't for the life of me remeber how thee old ones came off.

Oh for the last change I got the Roughtrax UJs, they have outlasted the milners ones.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Have just done mine with Roughtrax uj,s. You will need a bench mounted vice to press the new caps on but otherwise it's a straightforward job. Make sure you mark the prop and flanges so it goes back in the same position. If you need it I'll dig out the write up and post for you.

Comment

when fitting the UJ take note of the position of the grease nipple, don't do what I did and fit the UJ back to front...Doh!
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

the write up would be great!

just got back from my parents house and after the 1.5 mile drive, parts of the uj are too hot to touch! think its fooked!!

from what i can gather this is what i need : http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=163&vid=192

Cheers peeps,

Martin

PS. if anyone wants to come and fit it for me as a nice surprise they're more than welcome!
                      Just trying to raise my postcount!

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts View Post
                        the write up would be great!

just got back from my parents house and after the 1.5 mile drive, parts of the uj are too hot to touch! think its fooked!!

from what i can gather this is what i need : http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=163&vid=192

Cheers peeps,

Martin

PS. if anyone wants to come and fit it for me as a nice surprise they're more than welcome!
                        Yep that's the part. For the short term, you can remove the rear propshaft, and by putting her in 4wd run as a front wheel drive car. Remember to put match marks when you take the prop off, so it goes on the same way.
                        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I found some nice yellow paint marks on my prop to help line it all up once I'd removed the crud.
                          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                          X