HELP! lost my blinkin' key!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! lost my blinkin' key!

as title says - lost one and only key to surf today. dropped into the water at the marina

1hr later after fishing with a magnet on a rope, no luck

so yes, as was saying, asking for help please

what is the quickest way of getting a hilux key>? toyota garage or locksmith?

any idea of costs involved?

many thanks - need to get is sorted pretty quick as am parked on a bend and also need to drive to germany on wednesday

cheers!
    problems? i'll take 'em.

Originally posted by skyhooked
    as title says - lost one and only key to surf today. dropped into the water at the marina

1hr later after fishing with a magnet on a rope, no luck

so yes, as was saying, asking for help please

what is the quickest way of getting a hilux key>? toyota garage or locksmith?

any idea of costs involved?

many thanks - need to get is sorted pretty quick as am parked on a bend and also need to drive to germany on wednesday

cheers!
    give parkland toyota at helston a ring and speak to the parts guy there
    as i found them really helpful and better than carland cross
    or if you can wait till tuesday then i got a spare key here you could try if you wanted
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

thanks stormforce - good start will do. wonder how quick they can knock one up!

crikey why oh why didnt i have a floating keyring
      problems? i'll take 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by skyhooked
        thanks stormforce - good start will do. wonder how quick they can knock one up!

crikey why oh why didnt i have a floating keyring
        i might even be able to come over tomorrow sometime if you want.
        If you got a mob.no then i can give you a bell and let you know tomorrow sometime or it could be about 4pm ish
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

how deep is it?
          can't you just jump in and get it??
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

My Surf only came with one key and I've been thinking of getting a spare cut. I'm not worried about it being a remote one just to be able to unlock the car if I lose the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Sclerotic Hen
              My Surf only came with one key and I've been thinking of getting a spare cut. I'm not worried about it being a remote one just to be able to unlock the car if I lose the original.
              Go to a proper locksmiths. They can sort you a spare easily enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Sclerotic Hen

Take it to any cobblers or Mister Minit, they'll cut you a spare easily enough.

Comment

Have you got the keycode? If not i don't think toyota are likely to be able to help. Also without either the keycode or a key to cut from you won't be able to get a new key cut. An alarm fitter should be able to get into the car without doing any damage. They should also be able to start it. You may find the keycode stamped into either the ignition barrell or one of the lock cases once you're in.

It is worth trying any toyota or similar keys you can get hold of though, especially if you got aa part worn lock. Jiggle them about it and you may find it'll open it.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

surf will open with a coat hanger... you'll start it easy enough, but you'll have to break off the steering lock...

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                      surf will open with a coat hanger... you'll start it easy enough, but you'll have to break off the steering lock...
                      That's basically what an alarm fitter would do, a good one should be able to disengage the steering lock aswell, rather than breaking it.

Probably a £40-£60 quid charge for coming out and opening it. Then extras on that for anything else you want them to do.
                      Last edited by nero279; 5 February 2007, 00:13.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                        That's basically what an alarm fitter would do, a good one should be able to disengage the steering lock aswell, rather than breaking it.
                        doubt it, they have shear bolts, so there's no way of getting it apart without the key, drilling, or breaking it off.

Comment

They should pick the lock on the ignition barrell then remove the barrell, rather than a straight hotwire. Then the steering lock would be disengaged.
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

call your insurance, a lot of policies cover you for loss of keys mate.
                            TeaM BOFA4x4 Mac 2008

www.bofa4x4.com

Comment

Is there a local dive club? they love jobs like this..
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X