How long should they last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should they last?

Before I left for Zim, I had the zeb-runner fully serviced including (supposedly) new gear box mountings, new engine mountings and Top and bottom link bushes etc, etc.

Now if they were all NEW when I left and I did 10,103km on really rough roads for about 25% of the trip, should they now need replacing?

I ask this as I had the truck checked out on my return and they say that the following needs changing:

1. Gear box mountings - New needed
    2. Rear Crankshaft Seal - Leaking
    3. Filler plugs on Transmission and Transfer box rounded - New needed
    4. Radiator cowling broken
    5. Bottom Link & Top Link Bushes - New needed

So, before I go and give my last mechanic a "snot klap" I am asking you gentleman - am I being resonable to expect they things to last more than 6 weeks?
    @africa4x4cafe
    [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Hello Enzo,

What do you actually mean when you say 'really rough roads'?

My view - the mounts should have lasted. 2500kms (25%) shouldn't have been a problem - Its a Toyota 4x4 and that's what they are designed to do!

Unless you were driving on the rough roads at high speed.?!?!?

Rounded nuts = poor mechanic coz they are either tucked up out of the way or protected.

My radiator has the same failure - its been like it for miles - I have seen other forums showing the same problem so looks like a poor design.

Go and slap him
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Most roads in Africa are "rough" - there are no hard shoulders due to erosion; there are sometimes "channels" in the roads due to the constant battering of overloaded HGVs; there are new potholes after every rainy season due to the last contractor's skimming and most "murram" roads turn into the most bone jarring series of corrugations in the world and have to either driven over at 10kph or flown over at 100kph!

The majority of this trip was spent at a speed of 80 to 100kmh - the whole way - this was due to the gear box acting up.

Now the only thing I can think of is: if he did replace the battered parts with new before I left, then he used very poor qualitry parts (not unknown) - but I did specify to him to buy the best and I paid a high price for his work. So I haver caught another guy "skimming" - his kids go to the same school as mine does so he better sought it out or EVERYONE will know not to deal with him! And if the threat of exposure doesn't work then I have to give him a klap!
      @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Sorry, didn't say "Hello" Boyo! How ya doing?
        @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Originally posted by bundubasher
          Sorry, didn't say "Hello" Boyo! How ya doing?
          I'm all good - been organising a Welsh off road event so I been checking out routes for the last few weeks - all sorted now - got a stunning trip figured out although not 10,000kms through Africa LOL.

What's happening with that plot of land - when we all coming out to help with the build oh did you get a job?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
            did you get a job?
            Cheeky B@stard!

No, no job yet , also it seems that the plot is part of an inheritance and the kids seem to be squabbling over the old ladies land. So we will have to wait for the lawyers to sort it all out before they can give us a price.

I'm still applying for some jobs out here though not holding my breath - we still might be able to go back to Zim if my wife can transfer stations within Africa rather than going back to work in Rugby.
            @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Cheeky B@stard!
              LOL - I wasn't being cheeky - I just remembered that you were looking.

Keep looking, something will come up - it always does.

Comment

Most roads in Africa are "rough" - there are no hard shoulders due to erosion; there are sometimes "channels" in the roads due to the constant battering of overloaded HGVs; there are new potholes after every rainy season due to the last contractor's skimming and most "murram" roads turn into the most bone jarring series of corrugations in the world and have to either driven over at 10kph or flown over at 100kph!

Ah yes, I know what you mean, we have roads like that in south Wales only without the hot weather!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Ah yes, I know what you mean, we have roads like that in south Wales only without the hot weather!
                  Beggin ya pardon Vince but not just S Wales hole of the Uk's like it !!!

There's always a Payback ....You just can't see the pot holes at night !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Too right, here in sunny East kent you need a 4x4 just to drive on the tarmac, in fact some of the green lanes Nero took us on in Ashford were better to drive on than the tarmac stages inbetween!!
                    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Back to the point though, I would think it is possible for engine/gearbox mounts to fail after constant extreme terrain such as discribed.

After all engine and gearbox on a surf weigh about the same as a small car.
                      But the rounded off filler plugs sounds a bit suspect.
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Enzo, even I can change the oil without rounding off the plug...If he cant get that right, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the jobs. i think you need to have words with him.. and I hope a snot klap means what i think it does..
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                          Too right, here in sunny East kent you need a 4x4 just to drive on the tarmac, in fact some of the green lanes Nero took us on in Ashford were better to drive on than the tarmac stages inbetween!!
                          Slightly off topic but, we run a couple more down folkestone way this afternoon, word of warning. lane starting at TR243464 Geddinge Fm towards Lydden Hill. Don't turn right out the end, we done it today and noticed the other carriageway about 200 yds down the road, 50 yds to our left. Oh sh1t, hard left and across the central reservation to continue on our merry way. Yes we were going the wrong way down a dual carriageway, lucky it was quiet.
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

Serious potholes (like in on the Nairobi/Mombassa road) are more like open cast minres! There are no hard shoulders but what happens is that erosion undercuts the edge of the road leaving 10" plus drop offs.
                            @africa4x4cafe

Comment

Working...
                            X