small hint about veg oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• small hint about veg oil

hi just a thought about veg oil usage . i,m involved with a chemist at mo who recycles chippy waste for our cars and was having a chat about bio diesal with him. just wondering if you relise that due to carbon chain lenghts and molacule build that straight veg oil without being treated with glyserine actauly has abrasive molacules in its makeup. this can cause long term damage to seals and pumps ( i do mean long term) but any shortage of life in fuel system components to me is not personaly acceptable.
    I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
    (i also juggle dynamite)

Firstly, you chemically process SVO/WVO to remove glycerine. You don't treat it with glycerine. Secondly, biodiesel is far more destructive on rubber seals than SVO/WVO. Your associate is, to put it succinctly, talking bollox.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      Firstly, you chemically process SVO/WVO to remove glycerine. You don't treat it with glycerine. Secondly, biodiesel is far more destructive on rubber seals than SVO/WVO. Your associate is, to put it succinctly, talking bollox.
      Maybe he's a relation of yours then?!?
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
        Maybe he's a relation of yours then?!?
        Nah. I just talk totally meaningless and boring $hite, not totally incorrect $hite.

Comment

BTW, G.B, I had a moment of insanity earlier. I actually considered painting the wheel arches in copper Hammerite. By god, I remembered your pimp mobile just in time to snap back to sanity.

Comment

h,m maybe i,ve got it wrong but basicly i was trying to warn people straight veg oil is abbrasive. 2nd the assocaite is at the forefront of development so as said i,ve got it wrong. 3rd if swearing as an answer is your way of discussion or answer then may i say you take a course in lamgauge development and you probably will be able to articulate your response with cander suited to all age groups as kids use this forum
            I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
            (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy30
              h,m maybe i,ve got it wrong but basicly i was trying to warn people straight veg oil is abbrasive. 2nd the assocaite is at the forefront of development so as said i,ve got it wrong. 3rd if swearing as an answer is your way of discussion or answer then may i say you take a course in lamgauge development and you probably will be able to articulate your response with cander suited to all age groups as kids use this forum
              or langauge
              I,LL GO FIRST NO PROB
              (i also juggle dynamite)

Comment

1. you know you're jealous of my surf Matt.
                2. stop upsetting other members.
                3. mind the f%$&ing language as well. because as the man has pointed out, kids get on here and interfere with our fun!

Comment

Originally posted by stimpy30
                  you take a course in lamgauge development and you probably will be able to articulate your response with cander
                  All the spelling errors aside, are you taking the p1ss or being serious?

And I will reiterate. Your associate is talking a bag of $hite. The ester chain length, (which is, I believe, that to which you are referring), is completely irrelevant with regards to abrasive qualities. The only time that SVO or WVO are abrasive is due to impurities within the product. With WVO, this is due to impurities introduced through use. With SVO, this is due to using a non food grade oil. Like it or lump it, your mate is talking $hite. BTW, you say he is at the forefront of development. Would this be development of biodiesel, by any chance? And yes, I already know the answer to that question.
                  Last edited by MattF; 3 February 2007, 01:07.

Comment

All the spelling errors aside, are you taking the p1ss or being serious?

And I will reiterate. Your associate is talking a bag of $hite. The ester chain length, (which is, I believe, that to which you are referring), is completely irrelevant with regards to abrasive qualities. The only time that SVO or WVO are abrasive is due to impurities within the product. With WVO, this is due to impurities introduced through use. With SVO, this is due to using a non food grade oil. Like it or lump it, your mate is talking $hite. BTW, you say he is at the forefront of development. Would this be development of biodiesel, by any chance? And yes, I already know the answer to that question.
                    Bugger duck and cover
                    www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

1. you know you're jealous of my surf Matt.
                      The wench quite likes it, if that makes you feel any better.

2. stop upsetting other members.
                      I never did...........

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                        Bugger duck and cover
                        Oh come on. I'm not that bad.........

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                          Bugger duck and cover
                          What? In that order? OK, let's just find a duck...

Oh and BTW, ester chain length won't affect the abrasiveness of the oil. As Matt says, the only abrasive bits will be impurities, which shouldn't be there in the first place if you are using SVO. You might be meaning lubricity, but ester chain length isn't the only factor involved, and SVO AND biodiesel both have a higher lubricity than dino-diesel anyway.

Short version - either you have got your mates statement mixed up, or he is talking, not to put too fine a point on it, $$$$$$$$
                          Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

nooooo.....stimpy30 got it right.

matt, you got it wrong, and now others are following in your ill-informed footsteps.

Comment

nooooo.....stimpy30 got it right.

matt, you got it wrong, and now others are following in your ill-informed footsteps.

Comment

Working...
                              X