Headlining removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlining removal

I have to remove it this weekend to get the wiring for my roof lights in, or maybe just drop the bit over the drivers side a bit.

How is it done chaps? Is it possible to do without breaking it so I can put it back neatly? I need to take the drivers side window pillar trim off to to route the cable down.

I have a waterproof compress type cable gland for the roof, so will be drilling the roof... shudder... It's scary to be joining that exclusive club of bodywork cutters. Intercooler, snorkel and through bumper exhaust next then!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

S'easy. Just remove the grabhandle, sunvisor and the plastic 'A' pillar cover on the drivers side, and you can lower the headlining enough to poke cables around.

I fitted my roof aerial, lightbar and roof consol this way no worries.
    The headling is a kind of moulded hardbooard.

p.s. Can't remember if you have a sunroof, if you have then just pull off the finishing trim from around the edge.

Comment

.....oh, and the rear veiw mirror assembly needs to come off.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        S'easy. Just remove the grabhandle, sunvisor and the plastic 'A' pillar cover on the drivers side, and you can lower the headlining enough to poke cables around.

I fitted my roof aerial, lightbar and roof consol this way no worries.
        The headling is a kind of moulded hardbooard.

p.s. Can't remember if you have a sunroof, if you have then just pull off the finishing trim from around the edge.
        Nope, no sunroof. Cheers Vince! Will post pictures of my full 700w odd of lighting later in the weekend.

Comment

One other thing Vince, do you remember the colour of the high beam wire at the steering column by any chance? I assume this is where you took your relay trigger from? For the front lamps I took a feed for the relay from the back of the headlight. This time it makes sense to mount the relay in the dash.

I'm just being lazy - if you dont know offhand I'll get busy with the DVM.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
            One other thing Vince, do you remember the colour of the high beam wire at the steering column by any chance? I assume this is where you took your relay trigger from? For the front lamps I took a feed for the relay from the back of the headlight. This time it makes sense to mount the relay in the dash.

I'm just being lazy - if you dont know offhand I'll get busy with the DVM.

I'll go and have a look..............

Comment

Red/green....I think, can't find my 10mm socket at the moment.

Comment

i think your right vince
                Tim
                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

If it's the first time it's been off you'll find the leading edge is sort of glued along the top edge, (mine was anyway) gentle levering and pulling get it away though, Be carefull with the trim fixing as well, they snap off easy'ly, i used a sort of small flat ended pry bar,get it as near to the clips as you can and lever em toward's you,
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

roof light as well... be careful with the roof lining though... very easy to put a crease in it that won't come out... its almost like hardboard... if you can get the 'b' pillar covers off, ther rest is easy. (sun visors, rear view, roof light, grab handles, 'a' and 'b' pillars, door trims, rear tailgate rubber and plastc trim, side panels (carefully))

Another bit of advice. This is much easier to do with the interior is nice an hot... the plastic has a tendency to break when its cold... maybe careful application of a heat gun might do it, although I've always stripped interiors in the summer...

When I prepared mine for the roofrack, I stripped out all the side panels, and ran a few sets of 30amp cabling down each side just to cover all possibilities. The clips above the rear section will break, but you get a nice size hole about 3 - 4 mmm that is mirrored in the roof brace, so any fine split plastic plug will fit if the holes are slightly enlarged. The Toyota ones are quite pricey...

Comment

Working...
                    X