Blowing hot air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blowing hot air

I have just fitted my new genuine part Stainless Steel tail pipe (with small box) and the big dustbin sized box.

What a fu**ing nightmare. I couldn't get the bolts loose on the flexi pipe/big box join, so out come Mr Angle grinder to cut the bolt heads off. Got the thing out and realised that I needed two more nuts, as cut the others off.

Could I find the right size, could I f*ck. Sent my mate to Halfrauds to get some nuts, and they didn't have the right size, so he got me some longer bolts and nuts. These did the trick. I'm going to go into the company workshop tomorrow and find a couple of nuts to go with the original (new) exhaust bolts as these bolts wont rust.

She definitely sounds quieter and seems to go better too. I started her up with both boxes off. The sound of that turbo was just music to my ears, still pretty quiet though even with no box on.

Going to give her a service and oil change on Thursday if the weather holds. Then have to sort out some new tyres.
    Last edited by M35A2; 31 January 2007, 00:36.

so it begs the question - does it need a box or can I just have pipe?
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog
      so it begs the question - does it need a box or can I just have pipe?
      Andy's a stickler for keeping everything original, so I can guess what his answer will be. Must say, though, I'm going to go the Vince route when I can get mine adapted.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
        What a fu**ing nightmare. I couldn't get the bolts loose on the flexi pipe/big box join, so out come Mr Angle grinder to cut the bolt heads off. Got the thing out and realised that I needed two more nuts, as cut the others off.
        Apparently, the front section from the turbo is even worse. I chickened out of doing mine, and got a local fitter to do it. I think he was half tempted to beat me to death with the old pipe when I went to pick it back up.

Comment

when i done my turbo and when i had to put the d/pipe on i found it easier to take the exhaust mount off from behind the big box and the bracket from the gearbox which enabled me to be able to twist the exhaust a bit to get it on the studs and then put the bracket on the gearbox 1st b4 the mounting bracket behind the main box
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I was chatting to a truck driver at a collection today. he works for a small outfit that have Scania 580 V8 motors. His boss has fitted an exhaust system that has a butterfly valve in. When driving through town you flip a switch and it diverts the gasses through a silencer. When on the open road, flip the switch again and it turns into a straight through exhaust.

I reckon you could get a pipe made up that goes straight through. The noise isn't to loud, but the turbo on tick over is sweet as a nut.

I did away with those Toyota exhaust bolts (which have a 14mm head) and got 4 bolts from the company wksps, nuts and washers. The bolts are annodised and exactly the same size as the originals except thay have a 17mm bolt and nut size which was much better.

I also managed to service my truck this afternoon, so don't have to get all dirty tomorrow.

Comment

Same here, I had to cut the old original bolts out and I used 17mm zinc plated nuts and bolts.
              My exhaust consists of the downpipe from the turbo, small muffler and an exit bend, thats all. I can here the turbo whistlin' up and down with the revs, and if I feather the throttle around town, I can keep the whistling noise going constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Same here, I had to cut the old original bolts out and I used 17mm zinc plated nuts and bolts.
                My exhaust consists of the downpipe from the turbo, small muffler and an exit bend, thats all. I can here the turbo whistlin' up and down with the revs, and if I feather the throttle around town, I can keep the whistling noise going constantly.

Comment

Working...
                X