Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual control of an auto box

Hello,

There was a thread recently about whether you could start off in second gear in an auto Surf - like a snow start on more modern auto's (reduces slip in certain off road conditions)

I knew I had seen it done - and here it is - very interesting

http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.p...MANUAL+CONTROL

So - Ian Anderson - buy and fit one and you'll be sorted.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
    Hello,

There was a thread recently about whether you could start off in second gear in an auto Surf - like a snow start on more modern auto's (reduces slip in certain off road conditions)

NEED!

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
      NEED!

Special need!

Comment

Have you read the whole thread? Seems the guy making them has disappeared and that there's been some trouble with them (connected occurrences??? )

I wonder what the state of play is today?

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Ballibeg
          Have you read the whole thread? Seems the guy making them has disappeared and that there's been some trouble with them (connected occurrences???
          Hadn't re-read the latest posts - goes to show a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing especially with an expensive auto box.

There is another company doing a far more complex (expensive) version.

http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com

Here's their reply to a mail I sent them last week -

Andrew,
          We have a Snow Mode (2nd gear start) input. We also have dual calibrations for more specific shift patterns. One calibration can be your normal mode the other can be a tow/haul or performance etc.

Russell Turner
          Powertrain Control Solutions LLC
          11139 Air Park Rd. Suite 2
          Ashland, Va. 23005
          804-752-6025 ext. 202
          Russ@ptcs.us
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
            Hello,

I used to have this function in a vectra auto. I remember accidentally selecting it one day as it was next to the power window switch. at the time it was no problem cos i was doing 60 and it just ignores you until

Moments later pulling out on a truck on the next roundabout and OHHHH SHHHIIITTT!!!!!!!

Al
            I used to have a surf me!

Comment

That looks like a solution to the 'holding torque converter lockup' problem I was asking about ages ago.

I still reckon it would be valuable to be able to hold top gear down to about 45mph to stop the constant changing between locked and unlocked at typical A road speeds and traffic levels. I'm damn sure the 3.0 would be able to ruble along locked up at 45mph if you're not making big acceleration demands, with probable benefit to mpg.

Still interested if anyone has diagrams.
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

[QUOTE=Apache].......... to stop the constant changing between locked and unlocked at typical A road speeds and traffic levels. I'm damn sure the 3.0 would be able to ruble along locked up at 45mph if you're not making big acceleration demands, with probable benefit to mpg.........QUOTE]

Press the ETC button to over-come that problem, works for me!

Comment

[QUOTE=BUSHWHACKER]
                  Originally posted by Apache
                  .......... to stop the constant changing between locked and unlocked at typical A road speeds and traffic levels. I'm damn sure the 3.0 would be able to ruble along locked up at 45mph if you're not making big acceleration demands, with probable benefit to mpg.........QUOTE]

Press the ETC button to over-come that problem, works for me!
                  The idea was to keep the box in lockup, rather than out of lockup, thus keeping the engine at lower revs.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

[QUOTE=Apache]
                    Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER

The idea was to keep the box in lockup, rather than out of lockup, thus keeping the engine at lower revs.

Oh!

Comment

Know the feeling when it tarts hunting between. Have to say i tend to leave mine in ect most of the time anyway. Well that was before the head a sex change and developed a crack.
                      If at first etc? Find a BIGGER HAMMER!

Comment

Working...
                      X