A few surf related questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few surf related questions

Hello everyone.I'm a new proud owner of a 1991 hilux surf ssr limited,automatic 2.4,with big fat tyres and a coiled suspension lift,and have a few questions which i hope all you clever peeps can answer!
    Firstly i would like to go on one of these off roading days out somewhere near brighton south u.k,to get some mud on my shiny surf!
    Secondly,i had a look at the engine and it looks clean,runs fine,but also looks very complex! I'm not mechanically minded and never will be! I noticed there is an empty bay on the passenger side for another battery.Do you think its necessary to put a 2nd battery in there? I showed it to a garage mechanic,who has just fitted an alarm to my surf,and he said the battery i have fitted is the most powerful/best money can buy!?
    However,when i went to start it up the other day,it took about 10 turns to start the engine,each time the battery was slightly more drained,until it was nearly dead! I tried putting my foot on the brake pedal,as thats what i do to release the gear stick from 'park mode',and then it started!? Strange beast but i love it!
    One other query,I cannot seem to get the 4wd in lower mode.I put the gear stick in neutral whilst stationary,(Its the 4wd drive with the auto switch button on the side of the gear stick) press the 4wd button in,'4wd' light comes on,so then i try and shift the 4wd gear stick from 2h to 4L and it won't slide into gear?! 2h works o.k.
    Any advise is greatly appreciated,
    fanx Clive.

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/sho...5215#post25215
    Have a look at this, pretty self explanatory(i think thats how its spelt)
    Offroading: dont know i live in Brum
    4WD: Tonyn will answer that one for you
    WELCOME to the asylum
    While your waiting for Tonyn try the search tab, they're pretty usuful
    Last edited by Antshiel; 22 January 2007, 19:46.
    http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by clive05
      One other query,I cannot seem to get the 4wd in lower mode.I put the gear stick in neutral whilst stationary,(Its the 4wd drive with the auto switch button on the side of the gear stick) press the 4wd button in,'4wd' light comes on,so then i try and shift the 4wd gear stick from 2h to 4L and it won't slide into gear?! 2h works o.k.
      Any advise is greatly appreciated,
      fanx Clive.
      The first thing that comes to mind is....

the lift? are you sure its all suspension lift, a 2" or more body lift will often make the 4wd lever foul the edge of the hole in the floor, and not let you push the lever forward enough (or back, can't remember!!).
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

See, Told you!!! Nice one Tony
        http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Firstly i would like to go on one of these off roading days out somewhere near brighton south u.k,to get some mud on my shiny surf! Clive.
          Hi clive, welcome to the madhouse

If you would care to zap me an email I can supply you with details of 3 green lanes in the vicinity, and the telephone number of the ROW office to confirm that they are still open

Trev
          Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

re;my surf general questions

Hello all and nice to me you.Thankyou for all your advice,you are all very clever & helpful!
            My email is clive05@btconnect.com,please send any info about off-roading with my own surf in the Brighton area,u.k,to that addy.
            I'll also have a word with the meccanic i bought it from,as he did all the modding etc (and it was his pride and joy),about the 4 wheel drive stick prob.He never used 4wheel drive option much apparently. Viewing your 'dont drive 4wheel on tarmac' senario,makes me wonder that ive f****d the 4 wheel system,as i have to confess i have driven it once,about 100 metres in 4 wheel drive to check it was still working.I'll zoom over to his garage next week and get another education in correct 4 wheel drive usage.
            How do i put my own pic of me/and of my surf next to my messages?
            I've found the avatar options in my account,but it only gives me a limited number of pics,although being a f f f f f f fan -i do like the max headroom revival pic! thanks again,
            Clive.

Comment

Where abouts in brighton are you old chap, cos that's where I live!

Comment

Hello all and nice to me you.Thankyou for all your advice,you are all very clever & helpful!
                My email is clive05@btconnect.com,please send any info about off-roading with my own surf in the Brighton area,u.k,to that addy.
                I'll also have a word with the meccanic i bought it from,as he did all the modding etc (and it was his pride and joy),about the 4 wheel drive stick prob.He never used 4wheel drive option much apparently. Viewing your 'dont drive 4wheel on tarmac' senario,makes me wonder that ive f****d the 4 wheel system,as i have to confess i have driven it once,about 100 metres in 4 wheel drive to check it was still working.I'll zoom over to his garage next week and get another education in correct 4 wheel drive usage.
                How do i put my own pic of me/and of my surf next to my messages?
                I've found the avatar options in my account,but it only gives me a limited number of pics,although being a f f f f f f fan -i do like the max headroom revival pic! thanks again,
                Clive.
                You gotta pay a subscription if you want a piccy.

Comment

Working...
                X