Reversing camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversing camera

Thinking of getting a reversing camera for the surf, we all know how hard it is trying to avoid putting the spare wheel up the bonnet of the car behind you and wanted to see if anybody else had fitted one, is it worth while and where did you mount the camera lens on the rear.

I mounted mine where the hole is on the bumper for the underslung spare - it seems to be a safe place - it survived two trips to Salisbury !!!

The main problem you will get is that it regularly needs cleaning - they are magnets for the spray and $$$$ of day to day driving

Trev
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I'm going to fit one to mine. I have a dvd system that I am about to install and according to Maplins they supply a camera that just connects to Av. Also seen one in Halfords. About 18 months ago I fitted parking sensors to the front and back. Four at each end and since fitting I have not nudged anything (that I didn't mean to!)

This has a small screen wich tells which of the sensors is operating and displays the distance in numerics as well as a colour zone - green to red.

Well worth thinking of as an alternative or supplementary.

Comment

I see or do I

Hiya
        I drive a 8 wheel tipper and they have reversing camera's on them, ok in the dry but you'll spend more time cleaning the lense then driving, when it's wet and mucky.
        I can see where your comeing from tho or is it going too,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, can you???????????

Comment

inside mount.

I can see what you mean about cleaning the lens, i had a look on flea bay and there is a surface mounted camera and was thinking about mounting it behind the rear window on the roof inside.
          Then i could angle it down and when reversing just lower the rear window a little, just enough so the camera can see down on where i,m going.
          What do you think ?.
          Last edited by mark 1; 20 January 2007, 17:50.

Comment

Got a surface mount set into the top edge of number plate surround (overhang bit), pointing down... covers from about 3" away from the bumper to about 36". Works a treat, doesn't get too dirty... just needs s lot of light to illuminate in the dark, 'cos the reversing lights are pants.

Once I eventually get round to putting those work lights on the rack... then I'll get them remote switched in with the camera, and reversing lights... or whaterver takes my fancy...

Comment

The 'bullet' type cameras are good for mounting inside, or mount one of them rectangulay ones on the bracket up top somewhere, put the bracket where the rear wiper comes out put the wiper back on then put the camera on the bracket, you may need to drill the hole in the bracket bigger or extend the arms of it slightly to lift it over the wiper. It should stay clearer up high.

Trev - do you find it hard to judge distances with it there? I was told it's better to have it off set either up high or to one side and angled towards the centre to make it easier to judge the distances.
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                Trev - do you find it hard to judge distances with it there? I was told it's better to have it off set either up high or to one side and angled towards the centre to make it easier to judge the distances.
                I use it only when I have to, it's like a fisheye so things appear close when they are CLOSE and that takes some getting used to.

There is a free reversing aid for 2nd gen owners which requires no fitting

If you look carefully at the rear passenger side window you can get the reflection of the back of the car and can see what's behind (especially a light coloured car bonnet)

Now I am not going to recommend this (afternoon officer ) but the screen can also be used to preview offroad filming by using a flying lead to a spare AV socket on the screen.

Trev

Comment

or, and this is just a suggestion....you could all ditch the cameras and learn how to drive/park the good old fashioned way!?!?
                  i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

easy tiger....

My eyes can't see that three feet directly behind my truck...
                    And I'd like to know if I'm going to squash some kids toys... of worse...

Or hit a low bollard, edge upto the edge of a parking space, etc....

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
                      There is a free reversing aid for 2nd gen owners which requires no fitting
                      Yep it works ok in some light conditions in different light i find i cant see it right, dunno whether it's cos i got a different type of tint on the rear window.

Originally posted by UDTrev
                      Now I am not going to recommend this (afternoon officer ) but the screen can also be used to preview offroad filming by using a flying lead to a spare AV socket on the screen.
                      I got a headunit with a built in screen and a camera mount waiting to be fixed to the dashboard somewhere, look out for the vids.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                        easy tiger....

My eyes can't see that three feet directly behind my truck...
                        And I'd like to know if I'm going to squash some kids toys... of worse...

Or hit a low bollard, edge upto the edge of a parking space, etc....
                        i know, just kidding around!

i like the idea of connecting one up to the dvd player though!
                        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

ooh you is gonna get some stick when you's scratch that gold truck
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

Got a low power bullet camera, modded it flush into the number plate.

switches and powers on the reverse light circuit... all in the door... found some real thin 75ohm aerial cable, loomed it up with the existing cables into the rear door... nice a tidy...

Had another idea, but once the camera was in, it wasn't coming out again... You could use a broad light spectrum camera, get an IR illuminator ignition switched, with a daylight sensor... Set the IR illuminators under the rear bumper...

dusk or dark, ignition on? IR illuminator light gets picked up by broad spectrum camera... perfect.

Comment

I have this screen - go for the seller's auctions rather than buy it now and you WILL get a bargain - mine was £0.01 with £34 for delivery

BUT !!!!

I won on the friday night, the unit arrived from Hong Kong on the monday morning so I cannot complain

Trev

Comment

Working...
                              X