Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd generation ground clearance

Hi there,

Looking for some more info on a 2nd generation surf.

What is the ground clearance like compared to rivals and also what is the lowest aprt of the car?

Will a suspension lift increase the ground clearance or is the diff the lowest part of the vehicle?

Thanks and all the best.

Martin.

Originally posted by lowlander
    Hi there,

Looking for some more info on a 2nd generation surf.

What is the ground clearance like compared to rivals and also what is the lowest aprt of the car?

Will a suspension lift increase the ground clearance or is the diff the lowest part of the vehicle?

Thanks and all the best.

Martin.

Lowest part I think is the rear diff.
    Raising the suspension alone won't raise the diff, but huge diameter tyres will.

Comment

Ground clearance is similar to Land Rover and Range Rover, although the rear overhang's longer than the Land Rover's, and possibly the Range Rover's. Mine goes everywhere the Range Rover goes.

Don't know about G-Wagens but the Pajero/Shogun is useless off-road, had to tow them before, although Lada Nivas never seem to get hung up on stuff.

One point to note: on mine at least, so this may be normal, vulnerable parts under the body such as the transfer box have bash plates for protection - something I'd take over an extra inch's ground clearance any day.

Comment

Lowest clearance is the rear diff mate, so only real option to increase it is bigger tyres. Having said that, they go incredibly well offroad. At least as well if not better than most rivals. Bash plates are handy, but even fitted they're above the rear diff height so don't harm the clearance. (one under the engine and one under the transfer box)

Just get monster tyres...No clearance problem!!

Heapy

Comment

The only issue is the rear overhang, a body lift, suspension lift or bigger tyres all make it better.

The rear diff is usually the lowest point on any 4x4, whatever truck you buy, this clearance is completly down to diameter of the tyres. Bigger tyres makes it better.

Breakover angle is on the gearbox crossmember, not much differnece to any mid sized 4x4, front is great on a Surf, little overhang, and the IFS means there is no diff housing hanging down, its smooth from side to side.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X