French dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French dressing

How does water get into my transfer box? The contents were vinaigrette with a tinge of mud.

Is there a breather? If so where is it?

Now replaced front oil seal - but that's another story

There is a small pipe that goes from the t/case shifter opening into the gearbox top. Make surethat is connected. You probably need to get to it from the hole in the floor for the shifters.

Also check gaskets round the 4wd shifter.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony. I'll have a hunt round to see if I can make sense of that.

Comment

Had a good look from underneath and could see nothing even with a mirror. So I took up the plate under the gear levers. Could see a fair bit without removing them entirely.

The rubber gaiter round the gear knob could be better but is prob about ok.

There is something with a small plastic loose fitting cap on it which is probably the culprit.

Should this have a piece of tubing on it, If so where does it go to and where do I get one?

The box seems to have cleaned out fairly well with a number of oil changes

Comment

Do you have a Auto? just remembered they don't have the link breather I mentioned, you have probably found breather for the t/case, the lid is sposed to be sprung, there is a spring that holds a small rubber seal over a hole, so that if pressure builds up in the box it can vent, but water can't get in.

YOu should be able to unscrew it, but not sure as its a 3rd gen, they might have changed it, on older trucks you can replace the fitting with a hose barb and some small hose to somewhere higher, or pull the cap off and fix some hose to the stub thats left. This as a more reliable method of upgradeing the stock breather cap. If you don't do a lot of offroading, just make sure the cap is clean and the spring is working.

Comment

Thanks Tony

Yes 3rd gen auto. I couldn't actually reach the thing only view it from afar through a mirror, I did not want to dig deeper till I had some idea of a solution.

There is not much room for extending it higher but I would like to make it more water resistant. I do admit we stuck it in a bit deep on the plain; even got some water in under the driver's door.

However there was some water in the transfer box when I bought it as I changed the oil soon after. I guess the mud was my fault as it matches the rest the plain I brought home.

Not sure where to go next with this problem

Comment

Originally posted by cyclist
              There is not much room for extending it higher but I would like to make it more water resistant. I do admit we stuck it in a bit deep on the plain; even got some water in under the driver's door.
              You ca to run a breather hose along the transmission tunnel up to the bulkhead by the fuel filter or such like.

Comment

Working...
              X