Oh no...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh no...

... I just installed a landrover part, diff breather, somethin out of a landrover wading kit anyway that fits the diffs, now to take it off and go get some hose to run it to the front diff then up to the engine bay somewhere, or into the bottom of the airbox. Any recommended places to run the breather's to?
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Originally posted by nero279
    ... I just installed a landrover part, diff breather, somethin out of a landrover wading kit anyway that fits the diffs, now to take it off and go get some hose to run it to the front diff then up to the engine bay somewhere, or into the bottom of the airbox. Any recommended places to run the breather's to?

I've seen them just clipped to the bulkhead near the VIN plate.

Comment

i would just run them up into the engine bay and cable tie them to the fuel filter mounts,don't forget to fit a small filter of some kind to stop any $$$$ being sucked in
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yeah i got a couple of oil breather filters layin around somewhere, i think that should do the job.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

just out of curiosity what size pipe did you use as i am going to do mine soon.TIA
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

dunno yet, i just gonna have some lunch then go out and get the one that fits in the fitment i got. Looks to be about 4mm i think.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

I'll be thick here questions ...questions ??..... why does a diff need to breath ?? I thought it was a sealed unit full of oil...
              i assume my diffs are standard so should i be carefull if driving through deep water etc...

Back in the day Baby

Comment

why does a diff need to breath ?? I thought it was a sealed unit full of oil...

you are thinking along the right lines...because it is a sealed unit filled with oil / air, the oil gets hot during use and can heat the air inside creating a high pressure. this excess air is allowed to escape through the breather during use. like wise when the diff returns to ambient temp whilst parked up, the once hot air will cool and contract causing a vacuum inside the diff, so once again the breather allows the pressure to equalise.
                not much of a pressure diffrence - but it could be enough to breech oil seals etc and allow crud to be sucked in on cooling and oil out on heating!
                the standard breather position ( on top of diff units) shoudn't be a problem if you don't do much deep wading - ie above axel depth.
                Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Hmmm.... all is clear now....thanks

Back in the day Baby

Comment

So which were they, 10mm or 3/8". L.R still use imperial, don't they? If so, did they fit okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Vultch
                      Hmmm.... all is clear now....thanks
                      The reason for the remote location is that whilst wading, there is a quick cooling effect on the diff housing, which makes the probability of sucking water in quite possible with the existing location of the breathers.

Comment

This is what I did to mine a few weeks back - total rip off from the aussie site!

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...light=breather
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                          So which were they, 10mm or 3/8". L.R still use imperial, don't they? If so, did they fit okay?

They was that big, lucky you asked before i installed the front one, 3/8" i reckon they're certainly not 10mm. (Edit: Alhough they do look it in that photo, must be on a funny angle)
                          Last edited by nero279; 13 January 2007, 17:28.
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by MattF
                            did they fit okay?

Yeah fitted spot on, got em free off a mate who ordered a full wading kit for a landy and didn't use all of it, i think these were the gearbox breathers, but i'm sure the diff ones were the same size, anyone know if the surf gearbox breather (i assume it's got one) is the same size again or where it is or whether it's worth doing. My figuring was it's gonna be high up, and awkward to get to and probably not have much chance of pulling water in anyway so just check the condition of the oil after i go wading, might do the transfer case though if that's got one.
                            =========
                            =SOLD UP!=
                            =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279

They was that big, lucky you asked before i installed the front one, 3/8" i reckon they're certainly not 10mm. (Edit: Alhough they do look it in that photo, must be on a funny angle)
                              Can't access those pics. Getting a 403.

Comment

Working...
                              X