questions on 3rd gen spec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions on 3rd gen spec

Howdy all - not a surf owner YET, but I'm eyeing them out for a possible African trip. I have some questions about 3rd gen models -if anyone can help I'd be mighty grateful;
    1. Do any of the 3rd gens come with front and back a/c? If so which ones, or is it a factory upgrade? My mate has a 1st gen 2.4TD, with twin a/c -very nice.
    2. I'd prefer the spare wheel to be stored underneath, not on the tailgate - i know there is space for this but is it an option, and what models is this standard?
    3. From what I've read/been told the 3rd gens have a different chassis (Prado) - can anyone tell me how they compare to 1st and 2nd gen in terms of handling, ride etc?

Thanks for looking! Cheers

Originally posted by kanigit
    Howdy all - not a surf owner YET, but I'm eyeing them out for a possible African trip. I have some questions about 3rd gen models -if anyone can help I'd be mighty grateful;
    1. Do any of the 3rd gens come with front and back a/c? If so which ones, or is it a factory upgrade? My mate has a 1st gen 2.4TD, with twin a/c -very nice.
    2. I'd prefer the spare wheel to be stored underneath, not on the tailgate - i know there is space for this but is it an option, and what models is this standard?
    3. From what I've read/been told the 3rd gens have a different chassis (Prado) - can anyone tell me how they compare to 1st and 2nd gen in terms of handling, ride etc?

Hi and welcome .
    The main body of people on here are 2nd gen owners and tend to give the 3rd genners a hard time . But all in good fun .
    The 3rd gens seem to all have rear heaters but the rear a/c was a roof mounted unit , but was a option from new but I dont know of anyone having one on theres , so maybe rare . The standard a/c if well maintained is very efficient anyway .
    As for spare on rear or under it is again luck or option if you find either fitted from new .
    Yes , 3rd gen are based on Prado chassis .
    The 3rd gen are supposed to be more car like to drive in tems of driving as the have coil spring suspension all round .

If you buy a 3rd gen check to see if the full spec hairdressing kit is there or you will need to restock it at some cost .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

If you are doing some serious off-roading in Africa then I'd have the spare on the back, or on a roof rack. Anything underneath is vulnerable and reduces your clearance.
      Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Never heard of this. My 3rd gen has heater controls in the back, i think they all do but seperate AC? deffo not.

underslung spare is standard on all models. the tailgate mounting was a factory option. its much better to have them underneath in my opinion

3rd gen much better in terms of ride and handling. i have owned both and
        nnnn
        I used to have a surf me!

Comment

underslung spare is standard on all models. the tailgate mounting was a factory option. its much better to have them underneath in my opinion

Why's that then?
          Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Only the SSR-G has the spare wheel on the back as Standard. On all other trim levels it was underneath as standard, but optional to have it on the back.
            BTW, I'm off to Morocco in mine soon so I'm going to get hold of the spare wheel winch for underneath and mount a 2nd spare there. Mounting it underneath really isn't going to affect clearance very much.

Front A/C is standard on all as far as I know, but not all have climate control (you have an Auto setting on the fan control if you have it). Having said that, there's very very few 3rd gens without climate control.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker

Why's that then?

My opinion is they are better underneath because I use the tailgate 4 times a day. 2 x dog walks and the task is much easier with the wheel underneath.

They also look much better without the wheel on the back. (my opinion)

Al.
              I used to have a surf me!

Comment

re. questions on 3rd gen specs

Thanks for all those - next round of q's.........
                1. Is the 3rd gen 3.0TD engine all electronic and unmaintable (other than by expensive garages!)?

2. Ref the rear a/c, I saw my mate's 1st gen 2.4 this weekend - the back seats have a roof mounted controller for the a/c - this was what I meant when asking about the 'rear a/c'. Do 3rd gens get this option?

3. Re. haridressing kit - you mean to say this isn't STANDARD? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong car

Comment

1. Don't think there's much difference between 2nd and 3rd gen 3.0 engines, they're the same basically. 3rd gen does have added ABS system etc though. You can still pull the diagnostic codes out of the ECU yourself, so still maintainable.

2. Never seen or heard of any roof mounted / rear a/c in a 3rd gen. I could be wrong though!

Comment

There was a pod for Climate control/ air con i think, obviously an option.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

I may be wrong here, but I seem to recall this roof mounted unit being discussed on the forums before, where it transpired that it was a blower and filtration unit, but not actually an air-conditioning unit.
                      Maurice
                      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks for all those - next round of q's.........

3. Re. haridressing kit - you mean to say this isn't STANDARD? Maybe I'm looking at the wrong car
                        No its Custom build by the owner to reflect their hairdressing skills

Basic kit consists of sissors ,comb and Full A/C Hairdryer
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Standard 3rd gen seats include a kind of air conditioning pod.....

Comment

Working...
                          X