No announcement yet.

Fuel econemy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed it when I was underneath trying to find an annoying rattle that appeared after the head was replaced.
    I noticed "fluid" dripping off the sump, but it was too clear to be oil so I went looking aound the engine bay as you don't want fluid leaks after a very expensive head job, do you?

Anyway while lookng in the engine I smelled diesel faintly and found diesel all over the injectors.
    Took it the mech and he said not his fauly, its the pump.
    And so the saga continues.
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Is that the cause of the knock/rattle as well?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        Is that the cause of the knock/rattle as well?

No, mech said that was "a pipe" that needed adjusting, probably with a hammer.
        Although the only pipes I could see were two metal ones that I would have said to be brake lines, but they were hot!
        Rob

Comment

update

Just been out to check for leak, it's NOT the top seal, it seems to be leakig fom the rear of the pump about half way down.
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
            Just been out to check for leak, it's NOT the top seal, it seems to be leakig fom the rear of the pump about half way down.
            Are all the fuel pipes tight?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              Are all the fuel pipes tight?
              From what I can see they appear to be, I'm being vague but I just can't be sure.

Just trying to find exploded diag of pump, the one on the aus site does'nt show that side of pump.

Edit; just looking in the haynes manual, it says don't tamper with pump, " Warning Will Robinson", but it does show the fuel cut solenoid, which has a washer/seal, which does appear to be in the vacinity of the leak, so I'll drink me coffee and have a look at that.
              Back soon.
              Last edited by plumb bob; 5 March 2007, 15:08.
              Rob

Comment

From what I can see they appear to be, I'm being vague but I just can't be sure.

Just trying to find exploded diag of pump, the one on the aus site does'nt show that side of pump.

This pic help?

It's an EFI pump though, but gives you some idea what to look for.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  This pic help?

It's an EFI pump though, but gives you some idea what to look for.
                  Thanks for that Bushwacker, see edit; above, the only othe place it could be is that plate with the four bolts on, but that would be a pump out job, no??

Edit; Would the fuel cut solenoid need to be removed during head removal?
                  I'm not trying to lay blame with mechs, It's just that I need to know if it's likely to be that or not.
                  Last edited by plumb bob; 5 March 2007, 15:14.
                  Rob

Comment

Thanks for that Bushwacker, see edit; above, the only othe place it could be is that plate with the four bolts on, but that would be a pump out job, no??

I couldn't comment on that as I've never seen a non EFI truck's engine in the flesh.
                    TonyN will be able to tell you what you need to know re; your pump, I suspect he's tinkered with a couple!

When replacing the head, the fuel pump needn't be touched at all, just the fuel pipes .
                    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 5 March 2007, 15:16.

Comment

Update #3

Ok so I think it maybe the fuel cut solenoid, but HOW THE HELL do you get to it without removing half the engine.
                      Manual says to remove the "bracket" at rear of pump, but can't see any bracket, and the rubber boot won't come off with it in situ.
                      Any great idea's??
                      Rob

Comment

Working...
                      X