A/T P Light on Surf 3.0 TD AUTO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/T P Light on Surf 3.0 TD AUTO

Can anybody tell my what the "A/T P" red light is on the dash.

It only comes one when the 4WD selector is in netural and the main gear-box is in park. I'm guessing that a red light is bad !!!

If I leave the 4WD selector in High, but deselect 4WD using the button on the side of the 4WD shift, then no nasty lights.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Joe.

Originally posted by kcsl

It only comes one when the 4WD selector is in netural and the main gear-box is in park. I'm guessing that a red light is bad !!!

If I leave the 4WD selector in High, but deselect 4WD using the button on the side of the 4WD shift, then no nasty lights.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Joe.
    I'D have thought it bad as you cant go anywhere as its in neutral
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by kcsl

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
      Joe.
      It is saying that the Automatic Transmission (A/T) is in Park while the transfer case is in Neutral. I think it's a throw back to the days when you could use a power take off on the transfer case (not fitted on the Surf) and you would have the gearbox in gear and the transfer case in neutral to run external things off the power take off. The A/T P light would warn you that you are in the power take off position on the transfer case (neutral) but the gearbox isn't engaged and therfore you won't be driving the power take off.

Can't think of any other reason apart from they had a spare lamp hole that they didn't know what to do with.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
        It is saying that the Automatic Transmission (A/T) is in Park while the transfer case is in Neutral. I think it's a throw back to the days when you could use a power take off on the transfer case (not fitted on the Surf) and you would have the gearbox in gear and the transfer case in neutral to run external things off the power take off. The A/T P light would warn you that you are in the power take off position on the transfer case (neutral) but the gearbox isn't engaged and therfore you won't be driving the power take off.

Can't think of any other reason apart from they had a spare lamp hole that they didn't know what to do with.

Cheers
        don't think that park engages when in neutral, so you know to pull the hand brake a bit harder!
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

DABIGMAN is right, The reason that it is a red warning light is to let you know that even though the gear selector is in park, because the transfer lever is in neutral the wheels are free to turn and "the vehicle has no holding power unless you use the handbrake" which a lot of people dont, hence the warning. "Automatic Transmission Parking Warning."
          cheers
          SS

Comment

Stupid question!

Morning all-just been looking at the 4wd lever, and moved it forwards and backwards.....trying to return to normal 2wd position. Which is is??? Help! Kids wanna go out for a Sunday spin in new Surf!

Comment

Should be all the way back, on most levers. as long as the 4WD drive light is off, it shold be in 2wd.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks

Tony - thanks for instant reply to stupid question ;-)

Comment

Just a question ... what is the ideal indication of the lights? I mean what should the lights be displaying on ordinary asphalt roads? 4 green and central orange light on?

Comment

Originally posted by muraka View Post
                    Just a question ... what is the ideal indication of the lights? I mean what should the lights be displaying on ordinary asphalt roads? 4 green and central orange light on?
                    if its a turd gen no central light should be on if driving on tarmac ,
                    if 2nd gen your in trouble
                    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Joker:

It a 3rd gen .... ive used it for quite a bit of time with all 4 green and the central light on ..... What would have been busted by now?

Comment

Originally posted by muraka View Post
                        Joker:

It a 3rd gen .... ive used it for quite a bit of time with all 4 green and the central light on ..... What would have been busted by now?
                        everything!

4 green light ok on tarmac, but still in 4wd

no lights is ideal.
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man View Post
                          everything!

4 green light ok on tarmac, but still in 4wd

no lights is ideal.
                          Ive switched it off n some squeaking sounds hsve disappeared. What should i get checked?

Comment

Working...
                          X