How Much Room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much Room?

I'm thinking of fitting a Sub Woofer and Amp into the plastic side panel of the Surf's boot.

Can anyone tell me what the depth of the gap between the plastic trim and the bodywork on either side of the boot in a 2nd Gen is?

Also, are there any wires or anything that I will need to get out of the way before I let loose with the jigsaw?

Thanks
    Dave
    Just Vegging Out

you got just enough room to set a 6x9 in there
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
      you got just enough room to set a 6x9 in there
      I need about 160mm to fit the sub. I could get away with a bit less if it isn't flush.

What do you reckon? Will it go in?

I want to put a couple of 6x9's in as well, but that will be another day.
      Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by Bludger
        I need about 160mm to fit the sub. I could get away with a bit less if it isn't flush.
        I replaced all my speakers a couple of months back - from memory I don't think you've got 160mm depth.

If you look at the cubby hole - the back of cubby hole sits quite close to the body - so that's just about what you got to play with.
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

When I replaced the rear speakers on mine I used the cubby hole space and made a frame out of 18mm MDF the same dimensions as the plastic covers. This allowed a deep speaker to be fitted which of course could be increased by laminating different thicknesses of MDF together. Don't forget to pad out between the speaker and the outer body panel to absorb vibration.

Comment

no way will you get a sub in there.even if you did the body of the truck would vibrate and it would sound like you have a bag of nails in there.best thing to do would be to dynamat the sides of the truck and as said before make up a frame to sit the subs in then fit your amp to the frame.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
              and it would sound like you have a bag of nails in there..
              A bit like my turbo then
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Alpine do an underseat subwoofer, its very small but packs one hell of a punch!
                That way you could have a decent sound set up and still keep the boot free for larger loads etc!

Comment

There are loads of shallow-mounts about, but have you looked at the vibe qb69's here, they are supposed to have excellent bass response and good power handling. And in all honesty you ain't ever gonna get a great sound in a surf, it's such a big car, and the factory sound deadening ain't all that. The QB's are a very good compromise and don't take up too much space.

Alternatively...

...Go OTT and stick a pair of these in front of yer rear side windows, that price is for 1 btw. 240w @8 ohms equivalent of 480w @4ohms each, so you'd want an absolute minimum 1kw full range amp. Then wire them both in parralel to put a 4ohm load on the amp. OK, so it's not the best but it'd look good and you still get to keep the whole boot. If you can find somewhere to put the amp.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Working...
                  X