Steering wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wobble

Since swapping my tyres around (fronts to rear, rears to front) I've been getting this bloo*y annoying steering wobble. To try and stop it I've blown the tyres up to 40 psi, which has helped a bit, but it's still doing it.

Do you think this is caused by the fact the rears have worn flat, and the fronts (which have worn more on the inside edges) have worn in a concave sort of shape???

Or could it be wheel balance??

I'm going to swap them back to see if it stops, to rule out anything to do with the steering. Before the swap, there was no wobble in the steering whatsoever.

Cheers

Personally I'd say wheel balance, did you straight swap or cross swap?
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Piker
      Personally I'd say wheel balance, did you straight swap or cross swap?

I cross swapped them, like your supposed to. It does it in a pulsing sort of manner and gets quicker the faster you go. In fact when your going slow and let go of the steering, it pulses over to the left in one second bursts, wierd man!!!

As it does it when it's only going about 15mph, I'm sceptical it's wheel balance, as it's quite severe.

I've jacked the truck up, spun the wheels (under power) on the rear, and spun by hand on the front. There doesn't seem to be any buckled wheel rims.

Comment

Sounds like the wear then?
        Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

I've read that some big tyres don't like being run the opposite way to what they have got used to and can delaminate when swapped from opposite sides.

You should only swop the front to back on the same side, so you don't reverse direction.

Not from personal experience, as I said. only read it on the 'net, but sounds like what you have.

I'd get them rebalenced first, as tyres wear, they change shape so the balencing on the rears could be out, but its not so noticable on the back, but now they are on the front you might be feeling it more.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
            I cross swapped them, like your supposed to. It does it in a pulsing sort of manner and gets quicker the faster you go. In fact when your going slow and let go of the steering, it pulses over to the left in one second bursts, wierd man!!!

As it does it when it's only going about 15mph, I'm sceptical it's wheel balance, as it's quite severe.

I've jacked the truck up, spun the wheels (under power) on the rear, and spun by hand on the front. There doesn't seem to be any buckled wheel rims.
            Sounds like a faulty tyre check the left one thoroughly for 'lumps' or 'eggs' or tread lifting off.
            Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
              I've read that some big tyres don't like being run the opposite way to what they have got used to and can delaminate when swapped from opposite sides.

You should only swop the front to back on the same side, so you don't reverse direction.

Not from personal experience, as I said. only read it on the 'net, but sounds like what you have.

I'd get them rebalenced first, as tyres wear, they change shape so the balencing on the rears could be out, but its not so noticable on the back, but now they are on the front you might be feeling it more.

That's some very good free advice there Tony. Yeah, does make sense. What I might do is swap the fronts around so that they are running in the same direction they were used to and see if it does it then. If it does then they will have to go back on the back end again. Looks like I'm going to have to get some new tyres. I saw a report of some BFG A/T's doing 120,000mls on a Defender 90 and they still had plent of tread left. I will try and find the artical again.

Cheers mate

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
                Sounds like a faulty tyre check the left one thoroughly for 'lumps' or 'eggs' or tread lifting off.

One of the fronts is cracked due to age so that might be another cause???

Time to get the jacks out again!!

Comment

Working...
                X