Replacement front diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement front diff

I have managed to track down a possible replacement front diff for my Surf (see older threads, I broke mine, but not sure exactly how at this point).

The only fly in the ointment is that there is (apparently) no VIN plate on the donor vehicle to check the axle code, and thus be sure if the diff is a suitable replacement. In the absence of the axle code, does anyone know if there is an easy way (markings on the casing etc) to be sure that ratios etc match, and that the new diff isn't LSD etc?

TIA

P.S. Thanks Bob for the pointer.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

the front diff won't be LSD,
    isn't there a part number or something stamped on the casing?

you could always open it up and count the teeth!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Yeah, sorry, I meant if the car had an LSD, then the ratios might be different?

Can anyone confirm if there is any external markings that I can use to verify the right part, or if I will have to take the risk, and just buy it and hope.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
        I have managed to track down a possible replacement front diff for my Surf (see older threads, I broke mine, but not sure exactly how at this point).

The only fly in the ointment is that there is (apparently) no VIN plate on the donor vehicle to check the axle code, and thus be sure if the diff is a suitable replacement. In the absence of the axle code, does anyone know if there is an easy way (markings on the casing etc) to be sure that ratios etc match, and that the new diff isn't LSD etc?

TIA

P.S. Thanks Bob for the pointer.

hi Paul, dont remember seeing any markings on the outside of the casing for my old front diff which i still have to strip fully to find out where the clunking is, as there are no teeth missing or stripped
        Gaz

Comment

Toyota often colour code the end of the pinion, also count the number of turns the pinion make to the driveshaft ends and you can work out the ratio that way.

look here...

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_TechI...tml#DiffRatios

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X