Possible idea for stopping the spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible idea for stopping the spam

As the spammers are still managing to post on the boards I have a suggestion which may help.
    Is it possible to require that all new members have their first few posts moderated before they become visable to all?
    I know this would place extra work on the admins (who doubtless have enough on their plates) but it might help finally stop the spammers???
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

good idea, it'd only be needed for the 1st, maybe 2nd post. we could give some responsibility to other frequent users of the forum as well as the mods, to save on their workload. in fact give the responsibilty to the cellar dwellars, trev can do it as punishment for needing to be rescued by a L*** R****, woodzie as punishment for.....being woodzie (and the ), MattF can correct any spelling/grammar mistakes before the rest of us have to read them.

any spammars can be found and burried under chillits shed. any persistant offenders will have to spend an evening with da slug man. if that don't work, we'll give them to vince and he can sing spandau ballet songs to them til they explode.
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

The problem with stuff like that is that it puts an overhead on our (wonderful) admins. It also means that potential genuine new members who have a problem and join to post and request advice will be delayed, which isn't helpful.

3 things I can think of to help mitigate the spam problem...
      1. Upgrade to the latest vBulletin. Costs money however, and may not help much.
      2. Require everyone to post in a 'Introduce yourself' forum first before they can post anywhere else. This is fairly common nowadays, and at worst means spam gets contained into one forum. Pretty sure that vBulletin supports this.
      3. Introduce a Captcha or similar for new signups.
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
        good idea, it'd only be needed for the 1st, maybe 2nd post. we could give some responsibility to other frequent users of the forum as well as the mods, to save on their workload. in fact give the responsibilty to the cellar dwellars, trev can do it as punishment for needing to be rescued by a L*** R****, woodzie as punishment for.....being woodzie (and the ), MattF can correct any spelling/grammar mistakes before the rest of us have to read them.

any spammars can be found and burried under chillits shed. any persistant offenders will have to spend an evening with da slug man. if that don't work, we'll give them to vince and he can sing spandau ballet songs to them til they explode.
        I would be happy to help out in this fashion - instead of singing can I borrow your Des O.Conner and Val Doonican records please ?

Trev
        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Quote LOGEY79 any spammars can be found and burried under chillits shed. any persistant offenders will have to spend an evening with da slug man. if that don't work, we'll give them to vince and he can sing spandau ballet songs to them til they explode.[/quote]

http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
            Des O.Conner and Val Doonican records please ?

Trev
            who and who?

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev
              instead of singing can I borrow your Des O.Conner and Val Doonican records please ?Trev
              or is Engelbert Humperdink
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

who and who?
                they do that on another forum i use... it's a pain to get a quick answer cos the moderate your first 50 posts!!... but the first 5 or so i guess would be good!...

might need a few "junior admins" to speed it up a touch?
                nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Ignore Them

Unless the forum is being bombarded with spam, hows about just ignoring it? I havent seen that many spam posts, although admittedly there could be loads that the admins are catching. What I have noticed though is the odd spam posting followed by loads of "replies" from proper members. Surely the replies are are unnecessary and as big a burden on the forum server as the original spam posting. I think we can all recognise a spam post when we see it and are capable of completely ignoring it till a sys op comes and deletes it. Is there really a need for the " indignant of whereversham " reply.
                  Or am I being too simplistic here??

Bogus
                  Сви можемо

Comment

any spammars can be found and burried under chillits shed.
                    you wont find anything buried under my shed, thats just a rumour. last time i saw them, they were fine...i wasn't even there. its not my trolley!
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce1067
                      or is Engelbert Humperdink
                      did your camel sneeze?
                      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                        did your camel sneeze?
                        when you say camel...do you mean... that could be messy!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                          did your camel sneeze?
                          must of cause i missed the it out after or is
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
                            Is there really a need for the " indignant of whereversham " reply. Or am I being too simplistic here??
                            I thought responding to the spam posts was just another excuse for a thread to run completely off topic again. There's no real question to ruin, so we can have a field day on those threads.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                              I thought responding to the spam posts was just another excuse for a thread to run completely off topic again. There's no real question to ruin, so we can have a field day on those threads.
                              since when did you need an excuse to run off topic. jibberish at all times is what i thought the general section was all about, well, as far as anything goes sort of thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X