anyone play the trumpet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattF

Worst part is when the lips start going numb.

so speaks the voice of experience rolleyes5
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
      so speaks the voice of experience
      I daren't even ask.

Comment

Originally posted by jax
        Hi, I got a trumpet for Christmas - don't ask! I wanted Estee Lauder - anyway, can anyone give me any hints on how to get the higher notes, I just can't seem to do it and it's driving me crazy

Jacqueline

http://www.ehow.com/how_906_begin-play-trumpet.html

Comment

Hi, I'm off to try all those useful tips, thanks everyone. I've been banished to the farthest away field - do you think they're trying to tell me something?

Jacqueline

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
            i am an aquarian
            What? Made of glass and full of fish?
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Get yourself a practice mute:

(Try http://www.dawkes.co.uk/ )

Makes it a bit harder to play, as there is more resistance, but when you remove it, you will find your tone improved and the high notes come easier.
              You will also then be able to play indoors without being strangled!

If you've never played before, you might also want to try a mouthpiece with a larger cup size until your embouchure (the shape you make with your lips on the mouthpiece) gets stronger.
              The Kelly mouthpieces are very comfortable - made of Lexan, so they don't need any warm-up time, and the cup size goes up to 1.5C (large!) (and they come in bizarre colours - I must confess to having a fluorescent pink one ). I would suggest a 3C or 2C would be a good starting point.

Like someone said above, don't let your cheeks puff out and practise going up and down without valves.
              Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
                Like someone said above, don't let your cheeks puff out and practise going up and down without valves.
                Valves, that's the word I was trying to think of. I knew keys weren't right.
                Couldn't remember what the beasties were called.

Comment

its all in the lips!!! so i was once told. I play the didgeredoo (i think its spelled like that!) lips a bit loser for that but the concept is still the same tighter the lips the higher that note, oooh err! as far as i could make out the circluar breathing is the sameish too. good luck and if anyone wants to learn the didge i will be happy to pass on any tips!!!!
                  it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
                    its all in the lips!!! so i was once told.
                    It is. The lips can practically make all the notes on their own, once you have the hang
                    of it. It'd be a bugger trying to manipulate your lips that quickly though, hence the
                    valves or slide. That's why it's best to practice with the mouth piece alone, initially.
                    The instrument is merely an amplifier and tonal shaper.

Comment

Get yourself an Eddy Calbert CD and copy him, (connect it up to a compressor and save all that blowing)
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

you dont need a mute just put your hand over the end!!!! (i play a bugle and it's harder than a trumpet!!)

Comment

Originally posted by mupp1t
                          you dont need a mute just put your hand over the end!!!! (i play a bugle and it's harder than a trumpet!!)
                          I would have to agree with that - especially trying to keep the second octave in tune. Easier with a cornet mouthpiece than a bugle one, mind (OK, so I cheat a bit with the bugle - it's only once a year...)
                          Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Working...
                          X