X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle on Acceleration

Hi All,

Everyone ready for New Year?

I'm off down to Somerset, and wanted to know if any of you guys or girls could answer a question for me?

When I accelerate from a standing start or low speed, I can hear a kind of rattle fdrom the driver side. I think it is the front but can't be sure. Its a sort of tinny rattle that only last a few secconds. It happens everytime I accelerate.

Can anyone suggest a possible reason? I don't fancy going to Somerset if something is going to go wrong while pounding down the motorway.

It's a 93 2nd Gen 3.0TD by the way.

Thanks
    Dave
    Just Vegging Out

Originally posted by Bludger
    Hi All,

Everyone ready for New Year?

I'm off down to Somerset, and wanted to know if any of you guys or girls could answer a question for me?

When I accelerate from a standing start or low speed, I can hear a kind of rattle fdrom the driver side. I think it is the front but can't be sure. Its a sort of tinny rattle that only last a few secconds. It happens everytime I accelerate.

Can anyone suggest a possible reason? I don't fancy going to Somerset if something is going to go wrong while pounding down the motorway.

It's a 93 2nd Gen 3.0TD by the way.

Thanks
    Dave
    Not due an oil change are you? Mine gets a bit noisy (tappety sort of sound) when the oil's past it's best.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
      Not due an oil change are you? Mine gets a bit noisy (tappety sort of sound) when the oil's past it's best.
      The oil could do with changing I suppose, and it needs topping up. I'll try that tonight and see how it goes.

The noise is kind of like the sound a 'Slinky' makes when going down the stairs. For those of you who are too young to know what a slinky is, go ask your dad!

Any other possible problems?
      Just Vegging Out

Comment

take the slinky or the stairs out from under the bonnet
        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Bludger
          The oil could do with changing I suppose, and it needs topping up. I'll try that tonight and see how it goes.

The noise is kind of like the sound a 'Slinky' makes when going down the stairs. For those of you who are too young to know what a slinky is, go ask your dad!

Any other possible problems?
          At 41, I'm waay pre-slinky!

That 'sssssssss' metallic sound could be a leaky pipe / hose associated with turbo somewhere. My mate had a leak in a pipe on his Impreza produced such a sound.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

exhaust silencer baffles? mine used to rattle on pull away when the cheapy silener started to get loose inside, just clouted it with a big hammer untill it was dented enough to hold them tightly again.
            Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

Take a look at the underside of the exhaust front pipe, just before the main box. Mine has a sort of thin metal heat shield and it should be attached by a sort of jubilee clip. Mine rusted through and does make a tinny rattle/vibration on acceleration.

Worth a look me thinks...
              Life on the edge is short, but the view is great !

Comment

Check the heat sheilds on the turbo, one of mine comes loose every now and then, and rattles.
                Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

hi mate,
                  I know this might sound stupid but have you looked for causes other than "the serious type". I've got a tinny rattle in mine and its the rear seat belt holder believe it or not, and it took me bl**dy ages to find it, because like yours I only picked it up when I was driving and couldn't check then.
                  Or, it could be something in your door, window motor mechanisim etc
                  or, (here we go again) the fixings for your wind protectors (if you have them).

I know they sound pathetic but I've had a few of them myself and they can be really annoying, anyway good luck finding it and

welcome to Somerset!

Comment

Did you remember to untie the dog ???
                    !!! I'M THE ONE YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT !!!

Comment

Working...
                    X