Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat batt!

Hi guys n gals,

I got flat battery as surf ain't come out of its barn for 6 months!! Will i have alarm problems if i remove the battery? Will the stereo need re-coding? Is it likely to damage anything if i charge batteries(winterpack) withthem still connected to surf? Will it affect ECU? AAAAGGGGGGGGG!! questions questions.

Happy new year all and keep on trukin........................ ..........

You should be fine charging in situ. If you want to be cautious, just disconnect
    the negative connection from both batteries whilst charging.

Comment

Or disconnect one at a time...

If there is no charge in either battery...
      radio will have to be reset... coded...
      Alarm should remain in the state it powered down in... which might be an issue if the battery back up on the alarm ecu, or siren gets a little upset. Might want to take the opportunity once its all stood up to change the batteries in the remote fob as well...

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        You should be fine charging in situ. If you want to be cautious, just disconnect
        the negative connection from both batteries whilst charging.
        Thanx Matt, i'll give it a go tom.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobafet
          Hi guys n gals,

I got flat battery as surf ain't come out of its barn for 6 months!! Will i have alarm problems if i remove the battery? Will the stereo need re-coding? Is it likely to damage anything if i charge batteries(winterpack) withthem still connected to surf? Will it affect ECU? AAAAGGGGGGGGG!! questions questions.

Happy new year all and keep on trukin........................ ..........

It'll be OK to leave them connected when charging, but check periodically if the truck will start so you can remove the charger and let the alternator do the charging.

Alternatively, take one of the batteries off, give it a full charge and replace, then charge to other. You shouldn't have to re-code anything then.

Comment

Jeez!! am I in a freakin' time warp or what??? three of you have replied before me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
              Or disconnect one at a time...

If there is no charge in either battery...
              radio will have to be reset... coded...
              Alarm should remain in the state it powered down in... which might be an issue if the battery back up on the alarm ecu, or siren gets a little upset. Might want to take the opportunity once its all stood up to change the batteries in the remote fob as well...
              I take it batteries are in line? if so i could put my testers on and take the poorest one out.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                It'll be OK to leave them connected when charging, but check periodically if the truck will start so you can remove the charger and let the alternator do the charging.

Alternatively, take one of the batteries off, give it a full charge and replace, then charge to other. You shouldn't have to re-code anything then.
                sounds like the best idea..Thanks all!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobafet
                  I take it batteries are in line? if so i could put my testers on and take the poorest one out.
                  As they are inline, they will be pretty much the same. But, should have enough juice to keep the radio coded... so just do one at a time...

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    Jeez!! am I in a freakin' time warp or what??? three of you have replied before me!!!!
                    It's that red wine last night that's slowed your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                      As they are inline, they will be pretty much the same. But, should have enough juice to keep the radio coded... so just do one at a time...
                      As I'm not a pedant, I'll ask Matt to tell you they're actually in parallel. If they were 'in line' (series) you'd have 24v which would cause all sorts of things to bang quite spectacularly.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Or go buy a car memory saver, cheap as chips and no recode / ecu / alarm / airbag hastle, just plug it into the fag lighter and feed with a 9v bat

Comment

Originally posted by AuldNick
                          Or go buy a car memory saver, cheap as chips and no recode / ecu / alarm / airbag hastle, just plug it into the fag lighter and feed with a 9v bat
                          just fitted two new batts on mine, replaced them one at a time no probs at all
                          cheers johnno
                          15 years in shiny club, lovely

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                            As I'm not a pedant, I'll ask Matt to tell you they're actually in parallel. If they were 'in line' (series) you'd have 24v which would cause all sorts of things to bang quite spectacularly.
                            I let that one slide due to his wording and explanation being contradictory.
                            Put it down to a case of errant finger movement.

Comment

Working...
                            X