Springs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs question

Hi everyone hope you all had a good christmas!

After searching through the forums I have figured out that my surf has what is technically known as "saggy arse syndrome"! I noticed the other day that one side (driver) sits lower than the other, now I think all's thats needed is new springs and that the milners ones are probably best to go with? Also there are rubber things (i think they are bump stops?) just rattling about inside the springs, i'm guessing these should be attatched to something? Any help appreciated!

Ian

Originally posted by Ian82
    Hi everyone hope you all had a good christmas!

After searching through the forums I have figured out that my surf has what is technically known as "saggy arse syndrome"! I noticed the other day that one side (driver) sits lower than the other, now I think all's thats needed is new springs and that the milners ones are probably best to go with? Also there are rubber things (i think they are bump stops?) just rattling about inside the springs, i'm guessing these should be attatched to something? Any help appreciated!

Ian

Hi Ian.If your not wanting to lift your surf then go for the 20% stronger springs.The bump stops should have a bolt go thru them and then bolt to the chasis
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I dont particuarly want to lift it no, but im assuming the new springs will maybe lift it a smidge anyway. Ok so I guess I need to get meself some new bolts for the bumpstops aswell lol

Thanks Storm

Comment

I dont particuarly want to lift it no, but im assuming the new springs will maybe lift it a smidge anyway. Ok so I guess I need to get meself some new bolts for the bumpstops aswell lol

Thanks Storm
        the new springs will put it back up to normal ride height maybe a tad slightly higher until they settle in.Not sure if those 20% stronger springs are sided tho so just check b4 you fit them

You can always cut the bump stops down a bit when you re-fit them as it will give you that bit more travel if you off-road at all,plus it will probably make it easier to get a socket on the bolt when you fit them back on
        Last edited by stormforce; 27 December 2006, 13:03.

Comment

I think i'll have to get a garage to fit them as i have no idea what i'm doing! lol by sided do you mean labelled left and right?

Comment

I think i'll have to get a garage to fit them as i have no idea what i'm doing! lol by sided do you mean labelled left and right?
            they are a fairly easy thing to change if you got a pair of spring compressors.
            They may well have n/s and o/s stamped on the top of them somewhere

Comment

Yup I dont have a spring compresser, I may well have idiot stamped on my head! haha

Thanks for your help, I may sound as if I know what im talking about a little when I take it to a garage now! lol

Comment

it should only take 30-45 mins to swap the springs over and to re-fit the bump stops.Why not ask on here if anyone near you has got any compressors and would like to give a hand.You would probably have to keep them supplied in bacon sarnies and tea/coffee but alot of people on here are willing to help others.
                I drove to Poole several weeks ago so that Vatchman and the lovelyboyo could fit my lift kits for me

Comment

Thought that would be a bit cheeky for a newbie like myself to ask! Wouldnt want to put anyone out. I'm happy enough to take it to a garage for now, Theres a garage near me that fitted a CV boot for me and they are pretty good.

Comment

Thought that would be a bit cheeky for a newbie like myself to ask! Wouldnt want to put anyone out. I'm happy enough to take it to a garage for now, Theres a garage near me that fitted a CV boot for me and they are pretty good.

you don't need to worry about being new and asking for help like i said people are more than happy to help if they can plus its a way to meet the people from the forum

Comment

It is a great forum, i've got loads of help off here allready! If i get stuck with these damn springs I may come and ask for help then.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum,

I have just had new springs from milners (20% stronger) the look identical, and after checking with milners they told me the springs are NOT "handed"
                        so you can fit then any way you like, but not upsidedown!

Clive.
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

It is a great forum, i've got loads of help off here allready! If i get stuck with these damn springs I may come and ask for help then.

Cheers
                          The Milner 20% firmer springs are not sided so no problem there.
                          You dont even need a spring compressor to do them just a couple of jacks and a mate with a big heavy boot.
                          Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
                            Hi Ian, welcome to the forum,

I have just had new springs from milners (20% stronger) the look identical, and after checking with milners they told me the springs are NOT "handed"
                            so you can fit then any way you like, but not upsidedown!

Clive.
                            How true is this? i have looked a lot into springs and have always been told that on the 2nd gen, the longer of the two goes on the drivers side (rear of corse) to compensate for the weight of the fuel tank. If you have the same size springs check you have the right ones
                            Last edited by Antshiel; 27 December 2006, 13:41.
                            http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel
                              How true is this? i have looked a lot into springs and have always been told that on the 2nd gen, the longer of the two goes on the drivers side (rear of corse) to compensate for the weight of the fuel tank. If you ahve the same size springs check you have the right ones
                              Milners 20% stronger springs are NOT sided this is TRUE !!!
                              Trust your Hound.

Comment

Working...
                              X