rear wiper + MOT fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear wiper + MOT fail

some say yes,most say no, so who actually knows the real answer?

on an mot test, is the rear wiper tested.

mot tomorrow and on final checks, remembered i removed rear wiper ages ago, so thought i'd replace for the mot. this is when i was reminded why i took it off in the first place.

when i switch the wiper on it descends and goes through the wiping motion but fails to actually wipe against the screen unless pushed by hand against the screen. also when i turn it off again, it settles in such a way that, if i wind back window down and then back up again, it traps the blade.

so, clever persons...what should i do. 1. leave it on there because it won't be tested. 2. remove it because it's not necessary for the test unless its on there. 3. some other suggestion (about mot that is...i know what you were thinking!)
    i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Take it off for the MOT, as it's just an 'add on' not all cars have them.

Comment

Originally posted by logey79

mot tomorrow and on final checks, remembered i removed rear wiper ages ago, so thought i'd replace for the mot. this is when i was reminded why i took it off in the first place.

when i switch the wiper on it descends and goes through the wiping motion but fails to actually wipe against the screen unless pushed by hand against the screen. also when i turn it off again, it settles in such a way that, if i wind back window down and then back up again, it traps the blade.

so, clever persons...what should i do. 1. leave it on there because it won't be tested. 2. remove it because it's not necessary for the test unless its on there. 3. some other suggestion (about mot that is...i know what you were thinking!)
      I think Sumo has the only 1st gen where the wiper wipes and parks .
      My rear wiper cleans 90% of the swept area , never the bit nearest the top of tailgate . It never parks on the hard top unless I go over a bump .
      Rear wiper blade is from a MK1 pick up front wiper if you need a new one .
      As far as I know rear wiper is not an MOT item , but no fail if you leave it off .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

cool, cheers guys.
        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

mine waggs it tail in the air too do i need a new arm for it?? if i push it down it works, but not too well, and goes back to the up and out of the way position. but then is swinging in the breeze again!!! its a new blade on there.
          it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy
            mine waggs it tail in the air too do i need a new arm for it?? if i push it down it works, but not too well, and goes back to the up and out of the way position. but then is swinging in the breeze again!!! its a new blade on there.

Is the nut tight under the plastic cover?

Comment

will check tomorrow
              it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Is the nut tight under the plastic cover?
                The nut behind the steering wheel isn't .
                Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by logey79

I agree wiv those that say remove it ....... it can't fail if it ain't there !!!!!!!
                  And 1 less item to fail on, if it should fail on anything.......Good Luck Logey

There's always a Payback.... Just hope it's not tomorra!!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by Surferjess
                    I agree wiv those that say remove it ....... it can't fail if it ain't there !!!!!!!
                    And 1 less item to fail on, if it should fail on anything.....

It is a 1st gen you know?

Comment

as an mot tester i can tell ya the rear wiper is NOT part of the mot test.it doesnt matter if its fitted or not as long as if its there and has any dangerous edges caused by 1) corrosion or 2)damage and is likely to injure a pedestrian (or the mot tester lol) then it could fail on dangerous edges if not leave it on and dont say anything as it shouldnt even be tested . good luck mate
                      DONT RUN WIV BIG DOGS IF U CANT PI** UP TALL TREES

Comment

mine's a bit dodgy... the spring isn't very strong and when the arm gets a little rust around the rivet that it moves on it sticks, so it won't press against the screen
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

when mine was tested the rubber blade was hanging off, the tester never even mentioned it , probably cos the truck is a nice blue colour

johnno
                          15 years in shiny club, lovely

Comment

Working...
                          X