No announcement yet.

To flush or not to flush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hadn't noticed the poll. despite my vote i still say, if its brown, let it drown.
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
      It's very close, within 3%!

Ooooh I just dont know!

Re. leaving the car draining overnight, I think I'm too stoopid. I'd go out 7:30 half asleep jump in and drive off!

Take one of the wheels off too then. Or put the sump bolt in you pyjama pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
        Pyjamas? You old smoothie!
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
          yeah, the steering wheel, coz ye may still try driving off your axle stand...ouch!
          i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

What if you get a floater ?
            Side mounts are the new top mounts !

Comment

Come on then, own up. Who are the 5 people who ticked the 'oil change? Whats that?' box!
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

The same five who thought that flush was something to do with going to the toilet
                www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                  That's the key to good flushing apparently. If it always was flushed, it's no
                  problem. Apparently, the aggressive engine flushes can cause most problems
                  on an engine that's never been flushed due to the amount of crud it may
                  loosen in one go. A regularly flushed engine will never have enough buildup for
                  that to happen. (Guess who's been reading cartloads of oil related info again).

BTW, Andy, thanks for mentioning those Series filters. Picked one up today.
                  Perfect size and easily modifyable. The dogs nads for the purpose. Cheers.

No worries mate.

Did you get the whole thing, the filter housing and all, or just the filter element itself??

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
                    Having in the past taken an engine to bits and completely cleaned and rebuilt it (Hillman Imp) I was amazed at quite how dirty the internals were on an engine that had regular oil changes.

The Surf gets regular changes but the new oil still looks black after about 20 mins running, so I reckon mine needs a good flush to get all the $$$$ out.

My engine oil stays clean for about a weeks driving to work after flushing and oil change.

By the way I must add that after flushing, I drain the oil until no more drips out. I then stick about a litre of fresh oil into engine then let that drain to flush any leftover cra* away. I then add a good quality oil additive to the new oil.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                      No worries mate.

Did you get the whole thing, the filter housing and all, or just the filter element itself??
                      The complete unit. Going to be having a diddle with it tonight, hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                        The complete unit. Going to be having a diddle with it tonight, hopefully.

Nice one Matt. Glad it's what you was after.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                          Nice one Matt. Glad it's what you was after.
                          It's absolutely perfect. Size wise, it's like it was made to measure for what I
                          was after. They're a lot bigger than most, aren't they. All the canister type
                          housings I've seen before have only been half the size, width wise. My one
                          criteria was finding one roughly bog roll size. And that fits the bill. They
                          even have a port in for a pressure sender. Thanks again Andy. I'm chuffed
                          to bits with it.

Comment

I always FLUSH & i put the SEAT down SHE goes ape if i dont
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                            X