X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd noise(s) and loss of power.

After coming back from Bristol two Sundays ago at 2 A.M.,on M4 at
    Reading I ran over what I presume was a big lump of lorry tyre. There were
    no noises on resuming driving. I had a look around outside but could see no damage.

A few days after a tinging sound was heard from underneath the surf.
    You can only hear it with window down.
    It sounds like the blades of a fan pinging off rad (This is just an example).
    Or a nut loose rattling around inside something like a fan.

The last few days the sound has gotten worse.
    When the engine is running with no gear engaged it is fine.
    When I put it in gear and move off the pinging / dinging / tinging starts.
    It then disappears but driving down the road the sound comes and goes.
    There is no difference if I am going left or right. There is no strict pattern. After going back and forth to my daughters schoola couple of times a round trip of 6 miles.
    I have now noticed when pressing the accelarator the engine revs but the car is increasingly seeming to be losing power. A gradual increase in vibration
    is felt throught the floor and the steering wheel and thru the front wheels.
    When I lift my foot off the accelerator the vibrations subside. Not sure if they completely disappear.
    I can get it up to about 28-30 M.P.H. it don't like it tho'. I am now afraid
    to give it welly in case something BAD goes wrong. I dont think there is a connection between these odd things happening and whacking the tyre.
    But?
    I have looked under the car, albeit in the dark with a floodlight, (nearly burnt my nose off, nose meets 500Watts not a good idea.) I digress!.
    I couldn't find anything loose. I turned the forward part of the drive shaft?
    clockwise and anti clock wise as hard as I can and the sound coming from where the two shafts join(?) sounded reasonably similar.
    Where they join is a thing that looks like a junction box with some electric sockets / plugs, and wires coming out of. That is where I think the sound is coming from....

I am unable to explain why it shudders / judders from the front this being a
    rear wheel drive machine. It is increasingly becoming a judder / shudder

Can any one give me some clues please. Unfortunately my mechanic is about 11 miles away up and down hill. Would it be okay to drive it to him. Or should I definitely get it towed there.?

Appreciate any help people!

Towing it could create more problems unless you remove the propshaft.

Check that you haven't pressed the ADD button on the side of the transfer lever.
    Check the metal straps that hold the CV gaiters on (if you still have the originals fitted) one of them may have been dislodged and it's hitting something.

Comment

If I have pressed the ADD button on side by mistake will that illuminate a light on dash for me to see?

Comment

Yes, a green 4WD light. I'm just wondering what could be causing the shuddering and I thought of diff wind-up.

Comment

It has been in and out of 4WD the last few days as I live at a school and use 4WD sometimes out the back to move around the grounds.It is usually in and out once a week just to make sure it all works. As far As I can see the green 4WD light went off at the right time and all the right clunks took place at the right times.
          The judder from the front is a bit worrying and also the dinging noise.

Comment

Took car to mechanics this morning he reckons that the prop shaft joint is worn and will need replacing or reconditioning .

Does anyone know what this will entail and what the cost of this would be?.

Comment

they are not too much, I had one wear out on mine.
              part is £20 ish? i think
              Tim
              Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
              X