Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi and thanks

Hi All

Joined the forum this week as I've been looking to buy a Surf and today I took the plunge and shelled out the cash. Am very pleased with my purchase, a '95 M reg 3.0L TD Auto, SSR-X Ltd

Just wanted to thank the regular posters on here for the help they have provided, I've not asked any questions but rather pillaged the search function. I run a busy forum myself (for off road RC trucks - www.maxbashing.com if you're interested) I often pull my hair out when people ask the same question over and over again. So I didn't want to be my own worst nightmare on another forum.

My new Surf is very clean although front tyres are close to being illegal so a new set is in order. Again I've been reading your comments on these and am leaning towards getting a set of Grabber AT2 or possible the BF AT, depends on price, I have a friend in the trade and he's looking into it for me

While searching for a Surf, I drove one with the BF MT's on them, noticed there's a considerable amount more noise with these (as you would expect) just wondered if the AT's were much quieter or do I need to go for something like Goodyear wrangler, or Kumho 825's?

I won't be doing a massive amount of off roading, will perhaps try and get to a couple of organised events next year but I will be going across muddy fields most weekends (to get the RC truck tracks) and of course I want to thing to look a bit mean.

Also my current tyres are 265 70 16 – from what I’ve read on here, the 16” is an optional part from the factory, is this correct? And if I fit the AT tyres on there, is it going to restrict things at all?

Perhaps this should be in the tyre section, mods please feel free to move if you think so, but wanted to hi and thanks more than anything else. Forums are so useful when used properly

Oh one other thought, what speeds should a 3.0L cruise on a motor at, I came back in it round the M25 and was doing between 80 and 90, seemed to be driving fine, is this ok, other than caining fuel!

Cheers
    Dan

My new Surf
    Last edited by MaxBasher; 9 December 2006, 21:16.

oooooooo, pretty.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Welcome to the mad house mate.

That's a fine looking truck you have there. Did you get it from here?

http://www.fourtrackcars.com/

My cruise only works up to 70 for some reason (maybe a safety feature). I go up to 80 in mine and she is only on 2750RPM. The faster you go the more fuel you will use!! But 80 is fine.

Make sure you give the truck a full service if it hasn't had one already, and also get the timing belt and tensioner changed, again if it hasn't been done already. Better to be safe than sorry!!!

I am looking at the BFG A/T too. Mine is 265/70/15 so I have to go for the imperial size, but I think they do that size in the 16 inch rim. You shouldn't have any problems if the offset is the same as the original.

Comment

another PRETTY truck! whats going on?

welcome to the party, and keep an eye out for me in the 1st gen near you...you'll not miss it, lots of smoke and a handsome driver.
        i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Welcome mate, Nice looking surf you got there and black!! that should find favor with Stormforce and Vatchman, mines grey but i aint bragging
          I'll give your forum a look at, interested in RC stuff mainly ships in the past but would'nt mind a truck, although i have enough trouble pouring money into the surf and house
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

By the way, there are loads of guys into RC stuff on here. Maybe they have even been on your site??

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
              another PRETTY truck! whats going on?

welcome to the party, and keep an eye out for me in the 1st gen near you...you'll not miss it, lots of smoke and a handsome driver.
              Handsome

DON'T make me puke

You make da slug look good
              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

i actually have no ammo to fight with on this point....i conceed.

give me that pipe you 'orrible git!

Comment

Originally posted by logey79
                  i actually have no ammo to fight with on this point....i conceed.

give me that pipe you 'orrible git!
                  Only if you say pretty please 100 times no make that 200
                  www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
                    Only if you say pretty please 100 times no make that 200
                    ok here goes....

...pretty please 100 times no make that 200

Comment

Cheers for the welcome guys and thanks for the info.

I picked the Surf up from a private sale in north london, the guy had imported it himself from Japan at the start of the year, was getting rid as he'd just brought a Gen 3 version over for himself. Have been scouring the web for the last three weeks but think I got a bit of a bargin with this

Intend to get a full service done asap, it's also on 98,000 Kh so def get the timing belt done and the MOT is due in Jan so will do that now as well. seller was going to put a year on it before he sold so hopefully nothing to worry about.

Haven't found Cruise control on there yet, will look closer tomorrow although am up at 6 to go RC racing, am hoping the car park will be a mess so I can plough through it.

What about the road noise different between AT tyres (AT2/BFG) and something like the Wrangler/825 and if these last two are much smoother, are they any good off road?

Cheers
                      Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X