No announcement yet.

LR Defender - worst car EVER!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi l can not bring myself to even mutter the word "LA LA LA LA******R" This is a "TOYOTA SITE" stop swearing.
    Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
      Mmmm..... That's like saying I will like to buy a Peugeot 106, but the Citroen Saxo is cheaper so I will have that. At the end of the day the names might be different, and there might be some cosmetic differences, but they are still the same vehicle underneath.

Same goes for the Santana, a few differences, but still the same as a Land Rover.

BUT the Santana has a heater, working seats, opening windows, real engine, all at half the price.

Landrover is the 4X4 icon like it or lump it kinda like Harley Davidson in the motorcycle world, we all know they are $$$$ but icons they are, at least the Spanish see the potential of producing a working Landi lookalike, deffo summit sad about GB car production.

Comment

Good grief.

Mk2 Rangie = BorgWarner 1361 then 4462 transfer case. Mk2 Disco could have used it (as under the skin they were sort of the same truck)

LR wouldn't go for it coz?????? No one would have bought the Rangie.

I had to help a 90 LR get a horse box out of a field last season (ok - I had to use Pricillas 90 to get her box outta there . OH MY GOD. I was shocked. EL TRACTOR

Sorry M35 = they are good. I think squaddies would be better served by a truck that worked EVEN BETTER.

Question - What is the most popular truck in Aus and Africa (and why) ??
        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo
          Question - What is the most popular truck in Aus and Africa (and why) ??
          'Cos they don't have a LAND ROVER factory over there.
          Last edited by MattF; 8 December 2006, 06:15.

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
            Apache,

It comes across that you are not that keen on land Rovers.....

What you have to remember is that these vehicles go through a very tough evaluation process before the Army goes ahead with a contract. So they do exactly what is asked of them. No more, no less.

I have owned a Lightweight, and still own a Series Three and a Defender 110. I have driven a vast amount of Military vehicles in the 8yrs I was a driver in the Army.

Yes they are rough and ready. Yes they do leak. Yes they are cold. Yes they are pretty slow. Yes they aren't very comfy. Yes they don't have a radio.

The point is, they are there for the sole purpose of transporting men (and women) and equipment to wherever they are needed. They are not designed for comfort. A squaddie will provide his own radio because all the Military Vehicles I have ever driven have never had a radio fitted as standard (maybe the Army is getting soft these days). If a squaddie is cold then get some more layers on. Nothing will send a cold, wet squaddie off to sleep faster than a nice efficient heating system!!

When I was driving Snatch and APV, they saved mine and my buddies butts on several occasions. Yes they have the V8 fitted, but boy did those vehicles take an absolute pounding. They never once let me or my mates down.

It's a shame you can't just go with the flow and enjoy roughing it for a bit. I drive a 56 reg Volvo FM400 at work which has all the modern comforts, air ride seat, comfy bed in the back, aircon, night heater, cd player etc,etc.... But I would trade that all in in a second to be driving green vehicles for a living again...

When you are heading home in the comfy, warm, cd playing Surf, spare a thought for all the squaddies that are still on the plain cold, wet, tired, dirty and a little pi**ed off and just tell yourself that you might have had it bad all day in the Land Rover, but at least your going home to a nice warm bed....
            I have to agree with you to be honest mate. I still hate them, but as you say they fit the squaddies needs admirably. I left about 10:30 last night, job done, home in bed by 1am, and those guys were still out there, where they've been since last sunday, freezing their asses off. Respect.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Santana severed links with LR some considerable time ago...

It is a defender still, but what would amount to a mark 5 or 6... so all the things that LR should have done to it, but couldn't afford the development for... I see a lot of the utility companies are starting to replace their LR's with Santana's now...

Apache... why don't you tyry and 'borrow' a Pinz instead... a 710K hard body with the eberspracher(?) diesel heater... a little more cosy, but just as agricultrural, and perhaps a little more capable when it gets really unpleasant.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                Santana severed links with LR some considerable time ago...

It is a defender still, but what would amount to a mark 5 or 6... so all the things that LR should have done to it, but couldn't afford the development for... I see a lot of the utility companies are starting to replace their LR's with Santana's now...

Apache... why don't you tyry and 'borrow' a Pinz instead... a 710K hard body with the eberspracher(?) diesel heater... a little more cosy, but just as agricultrural, and perhaps a little more capable when it gets really unpleasant.
                We've got what we've got. Simple as that really. It didn't break last night though, which made a change - and we were a little more 'al fresco' with it. The clay was very sticky, the puddles were deep and muddy, and we had to climb a steepish cambered slope but it did it! At least *I* dont have to clean it
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                X