LR Defender - worst car EVER!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunkle
    my dad bought a brand new defender 3.5 v8 in 1984, he sold it 6 years ago with 365000 on the clock, it was an ab0solute beast, admittedly the gearbox(stronger santana type) did get replaced but other than very regular oil changes didn't get too much attention but it just kept going and going so they are not all bad
    I dont disagree they kind of keep going, but less and less on them works, they are truly awful to drive, they rust super quick and are probably no better off road than any other reasonably capable truck.

They are overpriced junk IMO, now I've driven a fair selection of 4x4s.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Lengthy reply coming!....................... ...............hehehe!!

Comment

Ha, ha, ha.......

Mine are 19 years old and 26 years old. Not a spot of rust on the 19 year old one, and only surface rust under the front wheel arches on the 26 year old one (had new wheel arches welded in over the old ones).

The new land Rovers are much better. The Land Rover WOLF XD. We drove back from Donnington for about 3 hrs doing 90mph all the way and it didn't miss a beat.

Yes they are noisy
        Yes they are tractor like
        Yes the wipers are sh*t
        Yes the gearboxes (in the older ones) leak oil like a broken oil tanker on the rocks.

But I still love 'em......

Bring it on....
        Last edited by M35A2; 6 December 2006, 19:18.

Comment

I owned I Series IIA for five years…

Winter time was the worst, canvass tilt and no heater

The Surf is pure luxury in comparison.
          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
            Ha, ha, ha.......

Mine are 19 years old and 26 years old. Not a spot of rust on the 19 year old one, and only surface rust under the front wheel arches on the 26 year old one (had new wheel arches welded in over the old ones).

The new land Rovers are much better. The Land Rover WOLF XD. We drove back from Donnington for about 3 hrs doing 90mph all the way and it didn't miss a beat.

Yes they are noisy
            Yes they are tractor like
            Yes the wipers are sh*t
            Yes the gearboxes (in the older ones) leak oil like a broken oil tanker on the rocks.

But I still love 'em......

Bring it on....
            Hehe, OK... Can only take as I find. Most of the following I've had as either pool trucks for work, or hire cars overseas.

The follwing driven offroad (army ranges etc) and on road.

LR Defender - totally sh1te.
            LR Disco V8 - 'exciting' handling and good fun off road. Broke a lot though.
            Mitsy Warrior - feels cheap and nasty. Noisy engine though OK to drive. Doesn't feel like it will take a lot of punishment offroad but seems OK.
            Navara - generally OK, has been very reliable.

The following driven in deserts & on road. Nothing hardcore though.

Dodge Durango - cr@p
            Chevy Blazer - surprising good all round - plenty of power and good fun on sandy slopes / scrub.
            Ford explorer - as above though not as nimble.
            Ford Excursion - a house on wheels! Fab vehicle but probably not great offroad!

I honestly have to say that the Defender has been the worst of the lot by a long long way. Perhaps in seriously hardcore offroad it would redeem itself, but for general on / off road use, it's bl00dy awful!

<knocks ball back over the net with a full stretch volley>

Comment

Chalk dust!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Chalk dust!
                I doubt it.... you just said it's raining again
                Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                  I dont disagree they kind of keep going, but less and less on them works, they are truly awful to drive, they rust super quick and are probably no better off road than any other reasonably capable truck.

They are overpriced junk IMO, now I've driven a fair selection of 4x4s.
                  mmm - off road, lets be honest, not much can touch a 90, a surf certainly can't until you throw alot of money at one and even then it's front suspension is always going to be way off springs all round - i await everyones polite replies !!
                  Bunkle
                  Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

mmm - off road, lets be honest, not much can touch a 90, a surf certainly can't until you throw alot of money at one and even then it's front suspension is always going to be way off springs all round - i await everyones polite replies !!
                    Might be good offroad, but the difference will only be noticed under extreme use. I doubt most of them ever see extreme use. For everything ele, IMO, they're terrible!

We're actually considering replacing ours with a 4wd boxvan of some sort. Will be far more practical for our requirements, and wont annoy the hell out of anyone who drives it.

Comment

Drove a few in my MOD days and got to accept the orrible things, truth be known I kinda liked them in a sad sort of way!

Farmers buy 'em as do the stiff upper lip nutters 'cos they are "Brit built" kinda like Rover was and Tony Blair's blaggers are intent to send Landrover to the Rover gutter with this "hate 4x4's" spin so it's Tatta Landrover

Comment

a standard 90's not really any good off road...

maybe ok for "farmer" stuff, but anything serious and you'll have to modify it like anything else.

the series LRs have rock solid cart springs and the defenders have coils that keep falling out the mounts and not seating back again... just make a clonking noise.

unless you get a decent engine in a defender, they're WAY underpowered too!

hehehe!!... can't imagine doing anything in a std series III 2.25
                        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

know quite a few people involved in undergrnd boring (muddy work) and they are all starting to use these http://www.santanauk.com/workforcein...sp?VehicleID=1 - apparantly undestructible
                          Bunkle
                          Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

know quite a few people involved in undergrnd boring (muddy work) and they are all starting to use these http://www.santanauk.com/workforcein...sp?VehicleID=1 - apparantly undestructible
                            They have been seen one the plain too (on trial)

no complicated engines so easy to fix.....Unlike modern L.R's
                            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

good old fashioned leaf springs too -
                              Bunkle
                              Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

good old fashioned leaf springs too -

Parabolic, dont you know

Comment

Working...
                                X