Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should it stay or should it go now.

Hi

Apologies for content of 1st post, never good etiquette to start with a moan. I have a 1992 2.4TD LN130 Surf that has given me 2 years of hassle free driving. Head gasket has gone and I am looking at >£1K to fix. In your view is this the start of the probs and should I just tow it a garage and PX it for a souless-urban cruiser (mondeo/vectra)

Cheers for listening

Stuart

If it's been good for two years, keep it. Probably the head that's gone and you're looking at around £1,200. You need to know why it's gone too - blocked / split radiator, dodgy water pump etc. Have the head done and the cooling system overhauled and you'll be away again.

As far as I'm concerned, a vehicle with proven reliability (in every area other than the head in this case) is priceless and you should cling on to it.

And welcome

Comment

Blimey!!

Join date Dec 2004, first post Dec 2006!!

Been lurking a while then!!!

Anyway, what Sancho said!
      It just does, OK?

Comment

Comment

I would either look at selling the surf for spares/repair or maybe breaking it for spares yourself aswell for a couple of options. Surf prices have dropped recently so its easy to pick up a bargain!
          Personally i would do almost anything to keep driving a surf!!
          I remember when i was 17 i walked out of carpet right and spotted my first surf and it was love at first sight! i knew i had to own one of these! when i passed my test at 17 i had a ford fiesta but longed for the Surf! after loads of comments of "that will never happen" i started a hunt for one! A 1990 2nd gen prefacelift! i loved it soo much! after a year i sold it and got a l**d rover discovery 300tdi, very nice....but the biggest pile of sh*t i had ever come across i was shocked that this 4x4 was soo popular! i was devestated that i had sold my old surf! and lost most of my money on this $$$$ Land rover! i set about hunting and found a stunning 1992 2.4 in black for £1700!! I can tell you now! the love for the surf is back and strong as ever! i wouldnt part with it for the world....well maybe a 1995 3.0 black Trust me! stick with the surf! if you dont it will cost you more money in the end! ....sorry about the long post

Comment

BUY MINE! and flog yours for spares...
            mines already had the engine done so no worries and its for sale... cuz I need the money... .

I can even deliver it to you, im going up your way fairly soon.

she's no angel

Comment

Originally posted by Stu2
              Hi

Apologies for content of 1st post, never good etiquette to start with a moan. I have a 1992 2.4TD LN130 Surf that has given me 2 years of hassle free driving. Head gasket has gone and I am looking at >£1K to fix. In your view is this the start of the probs and should I just tow it a garage and PX it for a souless-urban cruiser (mondeo/vectra)

Cheers for listening

Stuart
              Nah keep it, get a head from stevo if you have the wherewithall to do it, if not Stevo will do it for you, stick a new thermostat, rad cap, timing belt & water pump whilst it's in bits and you'll be back on the road.

If you do I would replace the waterpump because there's a lot of stripping down to do again if it goes!
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Working...
              X