X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clackety Racket

Hello

Nice to se Vince back today....

I spent yesterday laning around the Derbyshire dales, on the way back to the campsite, after some fun in a ford (aquatic variety) I nearly cooked going at pace up some really steep hills, but window down, heater on and foot off cooled down instantly (still had cool bonnet on arrival)...anyway.....

On the way home, I stopped at Warwick services and leaving there I noticed the Fiesta Mk 4 type rattly/clackly sound I hear under acceleration was not only louder, but seemed to be coming from somewhere else, as I could hear it over the regular sound I get. Now this only happens under hard acceleration, if I drive sensibly, and not try to get uphill too fast, I don't hear it - but if I put my foot down, clacky noise comes back. I checked and topped up the oil, water etc - but can't seem to find where it is coming from or what it is - any suggestions?

TIA
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Originally posted by itbloke@tiscali.co.uk
    Hello

Nice to se Vince back today....

I spent yesterday laning around the Derbyshire dales, on the way back to the campsite, after some fun in a ford (aquatic variety) I nearly cooked going at pace up some really steep hills, but window down, heater on and foot off cooled down instantly (still had cool bonnet on arrival)...anyway.....

On the way home, I stopped at Warwick services and leaving there I noticed the Fiesta Mk 4 type rattly/clackly sound I hear under acceleration was not only louder, but seemed to be coming from somewhere else, as I could hear it over the regular sound I get. Now this only happens under hard acceleration, if I drive sensibly, and not try to get uphill too fast, I don't hear it - but if I put my foot down, clacky noise comes back. I checked and topped up the oil, water etc - but can't seem to find where it is coming from or what it is - any suggestions?

TIA
    Hows the oil preasure, could be big ends " hopefully not"
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
      Hows the oil preasure, could be big ends " hopefully not"
      Hi

Oil pressure at 3,000rpm is dead in the middle of the dial...drop to top of far left 'block' (93K car SSR-X dash) when not accelerating...

Comment

Mechanical type sound or vibration based type sound?

Comment

Sounds mechanical to me, but at around 60 I do get a kind of vibration that stops when I get to about 70....

The mechanical sound is very similar to how a Ford Fiesta sounds....like its chain driven..hard to describe

Comment

Sounds mechanical to me, but at around 60 I do get a kind of vibration that stops when I get to about 70....

The mechanical sound is very similar to how a Ford Fiesta sounds....like its chain driven..hard to describe
            could it be turbo bearings?? mud got in through filter??
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

I was thinking along those lines, mainly because of where it was coming from, right by the turbo....hmmmmmm

I did go through some muddy water, and the ford - I'll clean it all up tomorrow and see if that helps - I forgot to move the air intake pipe round when I started.....

Comment

If the engine oil is old, the recent, (almost) over heat may have broken down the lubricating properties of the oil and thinned it. Re-new it with a good quality oil plus the filter.
                Also, the valve clearances may need adjusting.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  If the engine oil is old, the recent, (almost) over heat may have broken down the lubricating properties of the oil and thinned it. Re-new it with a good quality oil plus the filter.
                  Also, the valve clearances may need adjusting.

good answer!!

also...
                  are you running on veg??
                  might be to high % of veg-diesel and it's not thin enough in the cold weather.
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Hi Guys

No veg - not gone down that route yet....

I topped the oil up this morning, as I noticed the oil pressure was a little low on the way home last night, and it made it a little better - so that is my next job. I'll get a filter from RoughTrax and spend Saturday taking the A/C condensor off to get to the oil sump plug - joy -

How do I go about adjusting clearances - is this something I should attempt without Vince standing next to me with a pocket of 'Mainwaring cards' ????

Comment

when you checked the oil etc, did you look in the air box to see if any water got in there?
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Evening Charlie

I was going to do that when I got home tonight, but am soo shagged, that I forgot - I'll pop out and have a look

Comment

Hi Guys

No veg - not gone down that route yet....

I topped the oil up this morning, as I noticed the oil pressure was a little low on the way home last night, and it made it a little better - so that is my next job. I'll get a filter from RoughTrax and spend Saturday taking the A/C condensor off to get to the oil sump plug - joy -

How do I go about adjusting clearances - is this something I should attempt without Vince standing next to me with a pocket of 'Mainwaring cards' ????

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ighlight=shims

Comment

you dont need to move the condenser to get to the drain plug.. its easy! (got a vent yet?)
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Ta - well, thats me using the Volvo for a few days it appears.

Comment

Working...
                              X