Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small wires in broken speedo

Hi All,

I've just moved this from Tech/Electrical as I'd had no responses. Any help much appreaciated.

Originally posted by drdan
    Hi,

My speedo isn't working. I've tried all the suggestions found on this board and have removed the dash, cleaned all the connections to the plugs, the plug pins themselves and have even removed the speedo unit (6 screws) and looked for broken wires.

A couple of posts have mentioned that "one or both of two small wires may be broken', 'too small to solder' and possible 'actually connecting the unit to the dash'.

I can't find any small wires? Other than the 6 screws which connect from the copper pads on the flexible printed sheet to contacts beneath the speedo hard PCB I can't locate anything else that may be loose.

Any advice on where I should be looking?

Cheers,

Dan
    Dan

Originally posted by drdan
    Hi All,

I've just moved this from Tech/Electrical as I'd had no responses. Any help much appreaciated.
    The small wires could well be the coil wires of the speedo meter itself, assuming it's of the moving coil variety. They are solderable (in the event you find one broken) but you'll need to remove the varnish from the copper to do it - which on wires that fine is a pig of a job.

Is it definitely the speedo or could it be the feed from the gearbox ECU? (I'm assuming this is where it's fed from as it's electronic, not mechanical)

Do you have access to another instrument panel you could try? I've seen them on eBay for not much money.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
    X