mig welder gas regulators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mig welder gas regulators

Just got myself a mig welder, and was advised not to bother with the small disposable gas bottles - but get a proper bottle and regulator.
    Quick question to anyone in the know - is there any diffrence in regulators - ie could i use a oxygen reg' from an oxy/acetylene set up or does it have to be a dedicated reg' for argon / argonmix / co2 . Ive seen some regulators that are single and some double stage??
    any help???

BTW - got mig welder from B&Q of all places - its a (SIP ?) Cosmo 170 turbo dual - biggest they do- welds up to 6mm M/steel (60% duty cycle) for only £150...
    Last edited by jaky cakes; 3 December 2006, 15:56.
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

I really should know the answer to this as i have been a welder since i left school in 1988 but i dont Reason being.........i have never had to buy 1 lol.

Comment

it is possible to use an oxy gauge but they put out higher pressures than you need so a proper argon one is best. single stage gauges are cheaper and more than good enough for home use.

Comment

it also depends whose gasses you use, if you go with Air Products (feromax) the reg is built into the cylinder and you can have different flow restrictors, if you use British oxygen then you will need a reg. you can also use CO2 neat, a good welding supplier can help you out and probably give you good prices on wire, tips and shrouds, check rental prices carefully to see what suits you sir!
        Or if you have a friend with a pub or bar and decide to run CO2 and he has a spare cylinder......................
        Did I mention I have a BLUE one
        Tony

Comment

just nick them from the side of the pub!...

(not the ones that are connected though!!)
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes
            Just got myself a mig welder, and was advised not to bother with the small disposable gas bottles - but get a proper bottle and regulator.
            WHY??
            Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
              WHY??
              'cos they're a waste of money, don't last more than 5 mins.
              OK for emergency or as a 'back up' only enough gas to make one panhard drop bracket!!

Anyway, I've got one of these regulators, £25.
              http://www.machinemart.co.uk/rangegu...8&g=105&r=2038

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                'cos they're a waste of money, don't last more than 5 mins.
                OK for emergency or as a 'back up' only enough gas to make one panhard drop bracket!!

Anyway, I've got one of these regulators, £25.
                http://www.machinemart.co.uk/rangegu...8&g=105&r=2038
                How much are the large bottles? and how do you go about getting them??
                Trust your Hound.

Comment

How much are the large bottles? and how do you go about getting them??

The easiest way is to get to know the pub gas delivery driver, or your local pub landlord.
                  I paid the driver £15 for a bottle of CO2 a couple of years ago.

The other alternative is to open an account at a bottled gas merchants, but they charge about £100 per year rental
                  + gas.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                    The easiest way is to get to know the pub gas delivery driver, or your local pub landlord.
                    I paid the driver £15 for a bottle of CO2 a couple of years ago.

The other alternative is to open an account at a bottled gas merchants, but they charge about £100 per year rental
                    + gas.
                    Excuse my stupid questions Vince but does the regulator you have fit straight on the little poly pipe that feeds the gas to the torch on the clark welders(machinemart) or do you have to adapt it somehow?
                    Trust your Hound.

Comment

Excuse my stupid questions Vince but does the regulator you have fit straight on the little poly pipe that feeds the gas to the torch on the clark welders(machinemart) or do you have to adapt it somehow?

You have to adapt it. I left the fitting on the end of the plastic tube then inserted it into a rubber hose and secured with a jubilee clip.

Comment

Working...
                      X