Potential Buyer , advice needed urgently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Buyer , advice needed urgently

Hi all , just joined because I am considering buying a 1993 K Hilux Surf SSR-X 2.4 TD. I have read some existing threads to see if there is anything I should be aware of before I buy. The one I am considering has a claimed 70000 miles . I see from other threads overheating and general cylinder head problems occur . Is it almost certain to be a problem or are these problems few and far between. I picked the surf as an alternative to a pajero for around the same money , in the hope that Toyota's build quality and reputation would mean less in the way of problems, any advice , for or against the surf would be greatly appreciated and also how to tell if the problem is already there, ie , what to look for, leave it on tick over for a long time before i buy to see if it overheats, smoke ? etc. Thinking of buying it tonight or tomorrow so a quick response greatly appreciated
    Former owner of 94 Surf SSR-X 3.0 TD

Hey Rob,
    I had a 2.4 surf for 18 months and it ran with no probs whatsoever.
    You take a chance on any 2nd hand car you buy..... best advice is to take it for a good long test drive and listen for knocks etc.... let her tick over for a good while to check for over heating......GOOD LUCK...NOSHER

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I know what you are saying, I'll have a good test drive, looking out for tickover / starting problems smoke etc and leave it ticking over. Do they have an electric cooling fan or just a viscous / permanent one or both ? I dont intend doing a lot of miles in it but although I have a reasonable grasp of mechanics I dont enjoy tinkering and I dont want to buy something that thinks the local garage is it's second home.

Comment

i had my 2.4 1993 kreg for 2 years with a bit of trouble but i think the last of the 2.4's had the newer style heads on them but like previously said the head can go on any car but as long as its regulary serviced and lookedafter you should be ok

but if you can afford it go for the 3lt as it has better pulling power
        but all depends on how much you got to spend and if your buying private or dealer.Either way if they say it has a new head ask them for the paperwork to prove it and if not walk away
        Last edited by stormforce; 1 December 2006, 19:02.
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

You don't say how much you're looking at spending. 'Standard' prices are around £2k for a 2.4 and £3.5k for a 3.0 (with variations up and down depending on year, condition etc). If you've not got much to spend, go for a 2.4. Personally I wouldn't buy another one unless I knew the head had been done and there were receipts to prove it, like:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...6706&rd=1&rd=1

which happens to belong to a forum member and was fixed by TonyN so should be lovely.

There are lots of them about so don't buy one unless it is 100%.

Comment

Hiya, I have had both & a Mitsi Delicia, The Toyota wins for me! I have a 93 'K' plate 2.4 with some big tires on some Ali wheels the only fault I have with the car is the big wheels & tires do wobble a bit sometimes, like it's out of balance, they have been re balanced & are better but even that I can live with, the Surf, for me, Is the best of the bunch! (the fact that I'm about to sell mine is nothing to do with me not liking it, it's just that it is surplus to requirements now we are keeping our Camper!)
            Cheers
            Geoff
            Sunny Bristol

Comment

This topic ought to be made a sticky.

When cold. Check under oil cap for emulsion, water level and clarity under
              rad cap. Check for any profuse leaks. Rocker cover is a minor problem if it's
              leaking. Check what engine sounds like when fired up, what the auto gearbox
              is like, whether anything else seems amiss.

When warm, again, the auto gearbox, noises that seem out of place.

Also check that the 4wd functions, (a quick try on a straight course won't
              cause any damage), and that the electrics are working.

With regards to the head, whichever type you go for, that possibility exists.
              However, most times when the heads fail, it's been noted that a poor
              servicing regime might be a contributing factor. End of the day, it's
              repairable. As long as you make sure that you fully service both the engine
              and cooling system when you get the vehicle, you minimise drastically the
              chance of any major problems.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4875&rd=1&rd=1 Here is the ebay link to the one I am thinking of, he has accepted my offer of £2000. I will ring him again later and ask about the cylinder head , I am becoming increasingly worried that it might be a problem because when I spoke to him yesterday I asked about the usual stuff, when I asked about the fluids , ie oil leaks etc , he said it uses or leaks no oil, but he checks the water once a month and has recently had new antifreeze in it.

When I do the tickover test how long should I leave it running and where should the temp guage not go any higher than , ie 2/3rds or 3/4 hot. I've had a BMW 523i in the past , the temp guage always stayed at 1/2 in all weathers and all driving conditions, it overheated on 2 occasions one was a split thermostat housing and one was an air-lock in the cooling system , these were the only times I ever saw the temp go past half way
                Last edited by RobOnBlackbird; 1 December 2006, 19:24.

Comment

Oh christ, another Burgundiddy one.

With regards to the antifreeze and coolant checking, that may just be a
                  person who actually does check and service their vehicle as one should.
                  Head faults usually need a top up a bit earlier than once a month.

You're travelling one hell of a distance for it, aren't you?
                  Last edited by MattF; 1 December 2006, 19:23.

Comment

Originally posted by RobOnBlackbird
                    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...4875&rd=1&rd=1 Here is the ebay link to the one I am thinking of, he has accepted my offer of £2000. I will ring him again later and ask about the cylinder head , I am becoming increasingly worried that it might be a problem because when I spoke to him yesterday I asked about the usual stuff, when I asked about the fluids , ie oil leaks etc , he said it uses or leaks no oil, but he checks the water once a month and has recently had new antifreeze in it
                    Hello Mate thats not a bad looking truck. But no pics of the inside or the engine!! The one that Sancho has given the link for is a really nice truck, its just down the road from me and is very well looked after, I would not go for the first one you see, have a look on here at the for sale section. If you do decide on the marroon one then definatly ask about the head, the repair cost of it going is around 1200,. Oh and welcome to the forum
                    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Looks like a nice one for the money..

A well maintained cooling system will 'probably' stop a head cracking, but that applies to ANY motor, not just a 2.4.

Once you've got it, do a coolant, rad cap and stat change. Peace of mind..

And welcome to the forum
                      It just does, OK?

Comment

It's probably about 60 - 70 miles away, Its the same colour as my Blackbird , well almost

Comment

Personally I wouldn't pay £2k for a 2.4 unless I had the head checked ot the seller had documentation showing a modified head had been fitted. You can get it pressure tested, or there is a chemical test to check for exhaust gas in the water. I think you get the AA to pressure check it - not sure if they do the other test too. If there is a crack and its still very small it can pass a pressure test though as it won't get REALLY hot.

If you buy it be aware that if it goes then you're looking at about £1100-£1300 to get it repaired (depending where it is done)
                          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by RobOnBlackbird
                            It's probably about 60 - 70 miles away, Its the same colour as my Blackbird , well almost
                            Thats sweet!!!
                            Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by charvell
                              Hello Mate thats not a bad looking truck. But no pics of the inside or the engine!! The one that Sancho has given the link for is a really nice truck, its just down the road from me and is very well looked after,
                              Echo that - Jayne has always looked after her truck extremely well !!
                              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X