Anyone with an imagination...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with an imagination...

... can you cast your beady eyes over this sketch if you can visualise it.

It's my vague idea for a tubular front bumper i should be having made up soon.

With the two tubes running across the front and wrapping round the sides slightly, two vertical plates with holes cut out that the tubes go through, which would be extended down and back to bolt/weld on to the outside of the chassis rails, and a winch plate mounted on top of these two plates, so the fairlead comes out either below or preferably between the two tubes.

Any thoughts?
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Sounds ok to me, but not sure about the winch bit.

I mean, would it be a bit high?

Even if it's as secure as a secure thing, the stress on the plates would be immense when using the winch. It might need some extra fixings further up. Or maybe you were planning on fitting it lower than I'm imagining!
    It just does, OK?

Comment

the 2 vertical plates will have to be I section or it wont get through an mot... and they will have to be immesly strong if you are going to have a winch pulling on them... otherwise looks good
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
        Sounds ok to me, but not sure about the winch bit.

I mean, would it be a bit high?

Even if it's as secure as a secure thing, the stress on the plates would be immense when using the winch. It might need some extra fixings further up. Or maybe you were planning on fitting it lower than I'm imagining!
        i have to agree with you there dave.if it were me i would mount the winch in the space between the front chassis rails and fab up a heavy duty bracket bolted to the four bolts on the front of the xmember.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

I was visualising it at basically the same height as the existing chrome bumper, maybe up a little but not a lot otherwise it would obscure the headlights but i haven't measured up yet, just toyin with ideas as i can get a warn 9500 (not sure if it's the xp or ti) for under 400 quid at the moment
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Sorry not sure i made myself clear in the first post, i see where you guy's are coming from now.

The winch would sit behind the bumper if you like, with the winch plate mounted above where the plates come off the chassis rails.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Sounds ok then!!

I'm in the process of getting a winch fitted to a mounting plate, which I'm gonna bolt directly to that front crossmember, with support plates coming forward from where the recovery tow hooks are bolted on.
              These plates will be welded to the winch plate.

I assume yours will be something similar??
              It just does, OK?

Comment

You've drawn the wheel wrong. Body goes up, wheel's going down.

Comment

Yeah sort of, there will be a plate sort of like this at either side of the front cross member, but fixed directly to the chassis rails. Then with the winch plate welded on them.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    You've drawn the wheel wrong. Body goes up, wheel's going down.
                    It's that long travel extreme suspension set up with the dislocating torsion bars and flexible shocks i installed earlier
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

havn't you got the little mirror like on mine

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                        ... can you cast your beady eyes over this sketch if you can visualise it...........Any thoughts?

Like it a lot, a bigger version of this?........

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          Like it a lot, a bigger version of this?........
                          Pretty much spot on yeah,

just gotta work out the dimensions and fixings and all that sort of stuff now, make up a template and give it to a mate of a mate sort of thing who's going to weld it up for us.

Unless anyone has got any more thoughts/suggestions?
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

I like the look of what I'm imagining...
                            It just does, OK?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.j.robbo
                              I like the look of what I'm imagining...
                              yea,but does it have anything to do with front bumpers
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X