Diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff

seems like i may have a small leak on my diff after the weekend at norfolk so it looks like tomorrow may have to check on level and top up, what diff oil do i use and will i be able to use it on the back as well ?? cheers
    Only Toyota can get you out of shite

hope that was not because I led the way, better check mine!
    Nil illegitimi carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by joker??
      seems like i may have a small leak on my diff after the weekend at norfolk so it looks like tomorrow may have to check on level and top up, what diff oil do i use and will i be able to use it on the back as well ?? cheers
      On top of the diff is a small breather cap. Check that isn't blocked after the trip or that will cause diff oil to leak out when hot. The other thing to check is that no water has got in the diff via the breather cap- as that may have same effect.

Find a straight road, stick the car in 4WD for a bit to churn it up (don't use 4WD on bends!). Then drain some off to check for water content. If emulsifed drain fully and re-fill with fresh Hypoid Gear Oil.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
        If emulsifed drain fully and re-fill with fresh Hypoid Gear Oil.
        Do 2nd Gens have limited slip diffs like 3rd Gens?

If so, make sure the hypoid gear oil has the LSD additive.

Castrol do a Hypoid LS90 gear oil & Comma do a semi-synthetic 80W/90 for LSD gear oil which is the one that I used, as it was easier to find than the Castrol.

If you go to a Toyota dealer they can get the Castrol but only in 25 litre drums. Comma supply it in 5 & I think 1 litre bottles & is available from most motor factors.

Comma I think are part of the Texaco group, so the oil is good quality.
        Last edited by lclascaris; 29 November 2006, 15:18.

Comment

There's sometimes and LSD option on UK 4Runners. Never heard of one on an import Surf.

Comment

Mines LSD ......

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
            X