Another one bites the dust!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one bites the dust!

Well just after the delivery of my new springs and shocks and steering damper( not even unpacked),looks like the heads bust.

Vapour in the exhaust, and then overheating.
    Cost of new head? in excess of £1100.00.

May have to s$$$$ it or buy another and use it as a doner vehicle.

Any suggestions?
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Bummer.

If its the difference between losing the truck I have a good used head, obviously I can't give you any garrentees, but it came off a motor that had other issues. Its not the uprated type, but was new a couple of years ago, but this means its cheap and might get you out of trouble. If you DIY it you can keep the costs down,

Give me a call if you interested.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob
      Well just after the delivery of my new springs and shocks and steering damper( not even unpacked),looks like the heads bust.

Any suggestions?
      Hello,

Well, I don't want to seem like some heartless b4stard, but I was just about to buy the kit to do a suspension lift. What spec have you bought??

Plan - I buy your stuff if OK and you use that money to buy the head off Tony??

pm me with details.

Oh, sorry to hear of the head - I know the feeling having had the same 3 weeks after buying my truck.
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob

Any suggestions?

I may know of one being written off near me, as it needs every o/s panel replacing, i will find out if it's still there, someone drove a dust-cart straight down it cutting it open like a tin opener. If so i'll find out what the salvage is, then you might get a complete engine for the salvage cost. Only a possibility though it may have already gone it was about three weeks ago it was damaged.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
          I may know of one being written off near me, as it needs every o/s panel replacing, i will find out if it's still there, someone drove a dust-cart straight down it cutting it open like a tin opener. If so i'll find out what the salvage is, then you might get a complete engine for the salvage cost. Only a possibility though it may have already gone it was about three weeks ago it was damaged.
          Sorry, it's already gone. A friend has just bought a pickup with a 2.4 non-turbo though, anyone know if the heads are the same? as he's already got a transplant planned. With the engine i was going to use, the cheek of it!!
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Thanks for the feedback chaps, the surf went to the garage today for the guy to remove the head and see if its only the gaskit gone ( we live in hope)
            but knowing the history of the 2.4td's and head cracking, I'm not hopeful.

I've looked all over the net and found a few posible vehicles but they have much worse bodywork than mine, or there is a two door with good engine.
            Theres also two second gens the same colour as mine, both cheap, but both with cracked heads so no good.

The money side of things is obviously an issue, but I guess I'd end up spending a grand or so on it anyway, and with uprated head its better the devil you know!

The suspension I bought is the 20% stromger springs from Milners, and a full set of ES9000's and new steering damper from roughtrax.Also had four new Cooper discoverer STT 31x10.5x15 fitted two weeks ago.

My other option is to buy a new truck and break mine for spares, as everything else is in good workin order.And I much prefer the look of the 2nd gens (in grey of course). I'll let you know what happens.
            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
            X