FAO anyone running a V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO anyone running a V8

I sort of got offered a 3.5l rover v8 last night, for the cost of removing it from the vehicle it's in. I can almost certainly remove the engine without too many problems anyway.

A few questions about putting it in a 2nd Gen 2.4-

1. Would i be right in thinking i need 2" of body lift?

2. What other parts do i need from the donor vehicle?

3. Is the toyota gear box upto taking the engine?

4. Is weight an issue? do i need to uprate the front suspension to cope with it? I'm running wound up torsion bars and standard shocks. So i guess i'll be wanting the uprated torsion bars, and es9000s?

5. Is the toyota radiator ok for this engine?

6. What sort of insurance loading am i likely to get? bearing in mind i'm only 23 so my standard insurance is £650

7. Any issues with the exhaust/manifolds? assuming i need at least custom downpipes to join the manifolds to my current exhaust underneath somewhere

8. What's a realistic ballpark consumption figure? I know this is a daft question and you don't run a V8 for economy, but my 2.4s only getting 16mpg.

9. Any other issues i haven't thought of yet?

10. If in the future i decide to go down the LPG route the v8s going to be the better engine for it but does anyone know what effect LPG has on offroad performance? increased/reduced torque/bhp?

11. Does anyone know if the 2.4 will go in a zook?

12. What sort of modifications can you do to a V8?

And lastly, sorry, no the engine's not for sale, if i don't want it he's keeping it.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

No bodylift needed, the V8 is almost half the weight of the 2.4 Surf engine so you'll gain an instant lift at the front.
    MPG will be around the same as you've got now.

Talk to Vatchman, or use the search button, V8s in Surfs has been discussed constantly for the past three or four weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by nero279

1. Would i be right in thinking i need 2" of body lift?
      no but its easier
      2. What other parts do i need from the donor vehicle?
      if its EFI all the wiring and ECU
      3. Is the toyota gear box upto taking the engine?
      if the motor isn't to modified
      4. Is weight an issue? do i need to uprate the front suspension to cope with it? I'm running wound up torsion bars and standard shocks. So i guess i'll be wanting the uprated torsion bars, and es9000s?
      much lighter, you'll get at least 1" of free front lift with a Rover in there
      5. Is the toyota radiator ok for this engine?
      none of the petrol rads can cope, deisel ones might be thicker, I always ran a Rangy red
      6. What sort of insurance loading am i likely to get? bearing in mind i'm only 23 so my standard insurance is £650
      no idea, probably more than that!
      7. Any issues with the exhaust/manifolds? assuming i need at least custom downpipes to join the manifolds to my current exhaust underneath somewhere
      very few standard manifolds will fit, i think Mark found some, but I always had custom headers
      8. What's a realistic ballpark consumption figure? I know this is a daft question and you don't run a V8 for economy, but my 2.4s only getting 16mpg.
      14-20 depending on right foot
      9. Any other issues i haven't thought of yet?
      engine mounts, bellhousing adapter if using Toy gearbox, short (buick) water pump, wiring, and fit of small fitting issues
      10. If in the future i decide to go down the LPG route the v8s going to be the better engine for it but does anyone know what effect LPG has on offroad performance? increased/reduced torque/bhp?
      Works good on LPG, my Rover V8 run LPG only
      11. Does anyone know if the 2.4 will go in a zook?
      probably
      12. What sort of modifications can you do to a V8?
      same as any other motor
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheer's guys,

Tony, could you give a ballpark figure for doing the work? based on it being an EFI lump, and me supplying anything you need from the rangerover. I'm quite happy to sorce other parts aswell, but have no idea on cost for them, so hoping you could give a rough idea?

reply be email if you would prefer to ian.shrubb@tesco.net
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

i used the 3.9 ldv ambulance manifolds,but fitted them back to front so that the downpipe exited forward on the o/s and the n/s exited centrally.this set up then clears the steering column.if it were me i would change the injection for carbs.a lot less hassle.http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k113/vatchman/. just a few pics of the conversion.
          Last edited by surfenstein; 25 November 2006, 21:16.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
            i used the 3.9 ldv ambulance manifolds,
            Do these go straight on or have to be modified?

if it were me i would change the injection for carbs.a lot less hassle
            Funnily enough i was thinking that, and kinda hoping it's a non EFI lump anyway, i'm going to look sometime this week as i haven't seen it yet.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

manifolds will go straight on.i just cut the tops off of the downpipes (the flange and about an inch of pipe)then fabbed up my own exhaust.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

cheers for that vatchman.

The more i hear the more tempted i am to have a go at doing it myself, esp. if it turns out to be non-efi
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                  cheers for that vatchman.

The more i hear the more tempted i am to have a go at doing it myself, esp. if it turns out to be non-efi
                  its no big deal if its efi just remove the inlet manifold and bolt on a carb set up and manifold.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X