Too hot for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too hot for me

Everyone is saying that keep an eye on the temp on this 2.4 version I am getting. OK, what is a good way of quickly telling if it's been cooked! I have not checked, as yet but run it for 4 or 5r miles and see what happens ???

Change thermostat & radiator cap as these could be old & may jam. When head goes it usually expells all the water out through the expansion bottle.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Hi Norm, it's by no means garuntee'd that your head will go, as i understand it it was down to a design fault, a water way being too close to a combustion chamber, and if the engine should overheat through low coolant, blockage or whatever then there is a good chance it will crack the head, haveing said that you may well have a new design head or never have any problem with an old design head, i've been running a 2.4 for about a year and all i've done is check the coolant level, so im not in a position to dictate to others but as Marky says change the cap and thermostat and give it a good flush, (i bought two bottles of slick50 flush and still aint got round to doing it ) when you refill runthe engine at idle with the cap off to let the heater hoses burp, can take a while as they run to the rear heater as well, set both heaters on hot until your sure there's no more air in there, check it after a couple of days and there ya go, i fitted an aftermarket water temp gauge as the surf one gives only a general idea of the temp, and should the worst happen by the time the gauge goes into the red it's too late, aftermarket one will give you a better idea of exact temp,
      The paranoia does ease with time
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by ian619
        Hi Norm, it's by no means garuntee'd that your head will go, as i understand it it was down to a design fault, a water way being too close to a combustion chamber, and if the engine should overheat through low coolant, blockage or whatever then there is a good chance it will crack the head, haveing said that you may well have a new design head or never have any problem with an old design head, i've been running a 2.4 for about a year and all i've done is check the coolant level, so im not in a position to dictate to others but as Marky says change the cap and thermostat and give it a good flush, (i bought two bottles of slick50 flush and still aint got round to doing it ) when you refill runthe engine at idle with the cap off to let the heater hoses burp, can take a while as they run to the rear heater as well, set both heaters on hot until your sure there's no more air in there, check it after a couple of days and there ya go, i fitted an aftermarket water temp gauge as the surf one gives only a general idea of the temp, and should the worst happen by the time the gauge goes into the red it's too late, aftermarket one will give you a better idea of exact temp,
        The paranoia does ease with time
        Even the new design 2.4 heat will crack again if it is overheated, as will a lot of engines. The 2.4 we bought had done that, if it is cracked as previously posted it will spew the water out either off the expansion botttle or the radiator cap, my 3.0 showed itself by causing the header tank to leak, on our 2.4 it burst water hoses.

A good start is always to replace the rad cap and thermostat, and drain flush & refill the coolant, I would also make sure the fanbelts are at the correct tension. The paranoia will eventually subside & you will spend more time looking at the road and less time on the temp gauge!
        Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Ok

Thanks everyone for the help on that one

Comment

Working...
          X