brake pedal pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake pedal pressure

The brakes on my surf have never been great but recently seem a little worse. There seems to be a stop in the master cylinder that the pedal reaches quite easily without that much pressure on the pedal. I have changed the front pads and the brake fluid and the back shoes are fine, nothing seems to be jammed and the hand brake and adjusters appear to work as they should. I tried the vacuum test as in pumping the pedal 5 times then starting the engine but the pedal already hits it’s stop without any assistance from the engine. The braking isn’t really bad but it just feels like there should be more resistance and it shouldn’t hit the stop so easily.
    If I pump the brakes the warning light comes on for the vacuum reservoir (tested it was this by unplugging the other sensors and it still comes on when brakes pumped a lot). It only comes on when pumped a lot while standstill, when it might make sense that there isn’t enough vacuum so this might not be a problem.
    My guess is a fault with the master cylinder or the pedal should be able to go down further (there isn’t much travel to the stop) but I don’t know much about master cylinders . Does anyone have any ideas.

Are you sure they dont just need bleeding??
    It just does, OK?

Comment

I replaced the fluid today and then bleed them again as the results didn't seem any better so I'm confident it's not that, but thanks for the comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
        I replaced the fluid today and then bleed them again as the results didn't seem any better so I'm confident it's not that, but thanks for the comment.

Could be that the lip of the seals in the master cylinder have turned back on themsleves because of wear.

Comment

Yup, sounds like a broke master cylinder

Comment

Originally posted by Darren
            I tried the vacuum test as in pumping the pedal 5 times then starting the engine but the pedal already hits it’s stop without any assistance from the engine.
            My guess is master cylinder seals. Everything else sounds normal.

Nev

Comment

thank guys, i'll try and get the replacement seals and bits tomorrow and see if I can fix it up without replacing the whole thing
              cheers again
              Darren

Comment

Working...
              X