V8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8?

Just read of a V8 for sale on the forum. I've had my 2.4 SSRG for just over three years and overall I think it is a teriffic vehicle and has only let me down on the rare occasion. Originally I tried to source a petrol V6 but were told by the importers that these were nigh on impossible to find. Wanting a surf regardless I went for the 2.4 and although had been advised of possible head problems, mine has been ok. Not wanting to change it for anything else the only thing that is a negative for me is the diesel. I know that there are purists out there and those that prefer the torque of a diesel but me, I prefer the sound and smoothness of the V8. Having owned a Range Rover previously where the engine was great but everything else failed, I am considering transplanting a V8 into my surf. I would appreciate any feedback on this with regards to adaptation and if anyone within the Essex area could be recommended to carry this out.

Any idiot can get hold of a petrol surf. Trust me, I know

By all means go for a V8 conversion. Vatchman on here has done it and others are doing/thinking of/dreaming about it. Assuming you don't want to/can't do it yourself, TonyN (www.4x4toys.co.uk) or LA Supertrux (http://www.supertrux.com/) could do it.

Unless you're power-crazed or extremely handy with spanners, I personally think it would be easier and cheaper to get a V6 Surf or 4Runner and see what you think. It's a massive improvement on a 2.4 and you should be able to get decent performance out of it with a little bit of tinkering (that's what I'm hoping anyway )

They're cheaper to buy than the 3.0TD (something to do with the fuel bill ) and nice to drive. Only problem is, apparently, head gasket failure. Most with decent miles on will have had them changed already and it's hardly a disaster if they do go. There's a couple kicking around on ebay (petrol 3rd gens are probably easier to find, if you want/can afford one):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-Surf-3-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-TOYOTA-4-...QQcmdZViewItem

Up to you anyway. If you have the money, go for the V8.

Comment

Thanks for the info. As I said I don't want to change the car and personally think the 3rd generation has lost the rugged look. Also the 3rd generation, if I am correct, does not have the facility of lowering the tail gate window which is essential for me when carrying long loads. I've spent much time and money on bringing my surf up to what I consider appealing to the eye and would not want to sell it and buy another. I'm quite happy to have a go with the spanners etc and have always done my own maintenance. However, I have only ever changed an engine like for like and it is the details like: how does the transmission line up, bell housings and wiring etc that I am doubtful of. Also do I go down the carb route or fuel injection. I am not necessarily looking for performance as I did not buy the surf for speed Just tired of the deisel "clatter". Still, something to consider and thanks for the links.

Comment

Originally posted by beaufighter
        Thanks for the info. As I said I don't want to change the car and personally think the 3rd generation has lost the rugged look. Also the 3rd generation, if I am correct, does not have the facility of lowering the tail gate window which is essential for me when carrying long loads. I've spent much time and money on bringing my surf up to what I consider appealing to the eye and would not want to sell it and buy another. I'm quite happy to have a go with the spanners etc and have always done my own maintenance. However, I have only ever changed an engine like for like and it is the details like: how does the transmission line up, bell housings and wiring etc that I am doubtful of. Also do I go down the carb route or fuel injection. I am not necessarily looking for performance as I did not buy the surf for speed Just tired of the deisel "clatter". Still, something to consider and thanks for the links.

The rear window on the 3rd gen does go down the same as the 2nd gen, and the whole tailgate lifts up like a hatchback.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
          Any idiot can get hold of a petrol surf. Trust me, I know
          Oi, who are you calling an idiot

Your right about the fuel bills

Ah well I got it for a good price….. and more importantly…..I’m happy with it
          Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
            the whole tailgate lifts up like a hatchback.
            ....which means you can't lie a REALLY LONG load down on it!

The fold down tailgate should be treated like an extended bed IMO. I frequently drive with long lengths of wood or a heap of mountain bikes resting on the lowered tailgate.

Not sure about the legality (you can't see the number plate) but I haven't been stopped yet.

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
              Oi, who are you calling an idiot
              Me

Comment

Just read of a V8 for sale on the forum. I've had my 2.4 SSRG for just over three years and overall I think it is a teriffic vehicle and has only let me down on the rare occasion. Originally I tried to source a petrol V6 but were told by the importers that these were nigh on impossible to find. Wanting a surf regardless I went for the 2.4 and although had been advised of possible head problems, mine has been ok. Not wanting to change it for anything else the only thing that is a negative for me is the diesel. I know that there are purists out there and those that prefer the torque of a diesel but me, I prefer the sound and smoothness of the V8. Having owned a Range Rover previously where the engine was great but everything else failed, I am considering transplanting a V8 into my surf. I would appreciate any feedback on this with regards to adaptation and if anyone within the Essex area could be recommended to carry this out.
                personally,i would go for it,get that v8 in there,i would go the carb route much easier to install no wires and ecu. if you want to keep 4x4 get a bellhousing and engine mount conversion kit.i removed my transfer box and front axle,to keep weight down and run rear wheel drive only.the spec of the engine is up to you,but i love power so my engine spec is insane.im using a b/w c63 auto box thats been uprated,if your handy with a spanner and a welder then the conversion isnt to hard to do.or you could give tonyN a pm. no on second thought ring him,he will be able to sort you out.it took me a bout six weeks from start to finish.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

What sort of fuel consumption are you getting from the V8. When you said that you had put in a Borg Warner does that mean that the original transmission has to go. Not really bothered either way but auto box I have has been overhauled so would prefer to keep as it seems sound. Also on an insurance note, I currently insure with Hyperformance and cost is a reasonable £300 with full business use. Does the conversion make it more difficult to insure and presumably it will need another SVA?

Comment

What sort of fuel consumption are you getting from the V8. When you said that you had put in a Borg Warner does that mean that the original transmission has to go. Not really bothered either way but auto box I have has been overhauled so would prefer to keep as it seems sound. Also on an insurance note, I currently insure with Hyperformance and cost is a reasonable £300 with full business use. Does the conversion make it more difficult to insure and presumably it will need another SVA?
                    fuel consumption is an issue,in my engines current tune 350bhp.im getting around 16-20 mpg depending on how i drive it.you will need a manual transmission as there is no adaptor for the surf auto box,thats why i used my own transmission.you wont need an sva as you are not modifying the chassis structure or body or weight,etc.mine cost £400 third party fire theft.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

This sounds like some machine, do you have any pictures?

Comment

This sounds like some machine, do you have any pictures?

Use the search button, and enter the words, oh I dunno, something like......'V8 engine' or possibly 'beast' or even 'branchers'

Comment

Use the search button, and enter the words, oh I dunno, something like......'V8 engine' or possibly 'beast' or even 'branchers'
                          Or (because I'm feeling nice)

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27630

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=26175

Comment

Creep!

I was feeling sorry for the little search button, it seems to have such a lonely job on here, along with his mate the FAQ button. We should all use them once a day to make them feel wanted and not as outcasts.

The CHAT button has seized through lack of use too!
                            Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 23 November 2006, 12:42.

Comment

The CHAT button has seized through lack of use too!
                              I pressed it once to see what would happen. It was like walking into an abandoned warehouse in a bad film. I was kind of expecting a bat like creature to descend from the ceiling.

Anyway, just in a good mood today from having my first decent kip in weeks last night. No doubt the usual ignorant, obnoxious service will be resumed in due course

Comment

Working...
                              X