ignition barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition barrel

Hi all, any ideas why the ignition is getting sticky on my surf? what i mean is that the key wont turn i need to keep jiggling it until it finally turns!
    Could it be worn keys? i've tryed both keys and it happens with each.

On another topic i need to purchase a roof rack to fit a 3rd gen this week any one no where to pickup good quality rack at a fair price (its to carry a kayak btw).
    Ive seen some padded straps that wrap round the roof and go through the windows on a ratchet but i have the plastic wind deflectors so would'ent work

Originally posted by soupersurfer
    Hi all, any ideas why the ignition is getting sticky on my surf? what i mean is that the key wont turn i need to keep jiggling it until it finally turns!
    Could it be worn keys? i've tryed both keys and it happens with each.

On another topic i need to purchase a roof rack to fit a 3rd gen this week any one no where to pickup good quality rack at a fair price (its to carry a kayak btw).
    Ive seen some padded straps that wrap round the roof and go through the windows on a ratchet but i have the plastic wind deflectors so would'ent work
    the straps go through before you shut the door, not through the window!!
    otherwise you wouldn't be able to open the door!!

only downside is that they'd pinch the rubber seal and over time it might start leaking in the rain...

i got thule roof bars for about £100... just need to get the fitting pack that will fit in the channels... not rocket science...

roughtrax do a set that fit.

probably the ignition barrel is breaking inside, get a new one... not cheap!!
    (i'd just take it off and wire up a starter switch!)
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

uuummm yeah i new they went through the open door honest guv lol.

Ignition barrel change-oh dear, would i be able to get a new ignition barrel to suit my key? Guessing it would mean going to toyota and spending a small fortune.

Comment

Try getting some motorcycle chain lube in your ignition barrell, sometimes the tumblers can stick a bit and not fall properly when you take the key out. Go to your local motorcycle shop and tell them your problem they'll get you the right stuff. Could be just delaying the inevitable though, but it may be worth a try.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Problem Solved

I thought being a locksmith would come in handy on here!!! your ignition sounds like it has the dreaded disc breakup syndrome if you go to toyota they will charge an arm and a leg, all it needs is a service take the lock off and drop it into any good locksmiths they should be able to sort it out, in the barrel you have 2 sets of discs which are split into 2 which always cause the sticking of the barrel. job done you don't even need to change the key or if you have not got any locksmiths down there give me a ring and drop it in the post to me won't charge you just the postage. Ben 07999687664

Comment

Nice one ben-given it a damn good wd40 going to see what happens over the next day or two and may well give you a bell.
            Trouble i've got is mrs uses the car daily

Comment

see how it goes but if the discs inside are that worn it will still be clicky with taken the barrel out should still be able to start it with a screw driver but i'l make sure you can unless you knock the self shears off the ignition barrel then all you haVE is the plug on the back but i'll let you know but if it starts again just let me know

Comment

i had worn out key a month or so ago,
                it wouldnt work in ignition barrel, worked in the doors
                however i ordered a new barrel and 2 keys as thought it was knackered barrel
                cost me £70 from toyota dealer
                Landcruiser Colorado
                Sub. Forester

Comment

Ignition lock problems

99% of the time the ignition lock can be serviced and fixed to a good standard any one having this problem do not buy a new lock. just take the ignition lock out or the whole ignition lock off by tapping the self shears round, take it in to a good locksmiths who can do any thing like me and you shall have a cured ignition barrel or get in contact with my self 07999687664

Ben

Comment

Lock smiths by me would probably charge more than that in labour!!
                    Mrs reports all is well today hopefully the wd40 has done the trick otherwise i will give you a shout ben

Comment

Working...
                    X