No announcement yet.

Strange clicking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my clicking just went away after a while and never came back - really strange!

Comment

do you both use the 4x4 much ? if ever ?
      http://www.mudmuppet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan View Post
        Just noticed the same thing in mine, although it's actually coming from outside near the wheel arch. More noticeable when running slow and or turning corners. Only noticed when I had the window down last week.

A bit of investigation at the weekend, big scare put up me by a local garage when they said "CV joint".........

Took it to Toyota for a second opinion. The mechanic went straight under and started making the same noise. Appears to be a clip on the brake pads, as the pads wear down, the clip gets nearer to the disks and starts catching....

Should resolve after replacing the pads, at least in my case.....
        It's you turbo you are hearing {ticking noise} run past a wall with window down and it will get louder.
        Last edited by yoshie; 26 February 2011, 01:37.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
          It's you turbo you are hearing {ticking noise} run past a wall with window down and it will get louder.

No turbo on the 2.7 petrol Brian.

p.s. I own it now remember?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            No turbo on the 2.7 petrol Brian.

p.s. I own it now remember?
            I should have read in more detail, my excuse most threads of late are to sore to read properly.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              I should have read in more detail, my excuse most threads of late are to sore to read properly.

You got that right.

Comment

When I see Lukegettinganenema's name in a thread I usually scan and don't properly read.
                Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

so, back to the clicking, anyone ever resolve this?

Comment

Nope, but I like the idea of the earth sorting it out. Mine happens any speed but mostly first thing. I'm thinking that after the initial drain on the batteries from the start-up something, (a relay), is struggling.
                    The noise will start when I turn on ANYTHING. And will sometimes even be slightly in time with the indicators. It goes away after driving a bit.

Comment

Time to check your starter relays lads!!
                      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I would hope after this was first posted16 years ago someone might have got to the bottom of this issue?
                        I have recently started suffering from the dreaded 'random Relay Click' from the drivers footwell.
                        It's started messing with my sanity.
                        They say i am a danger to myself and others.

Comment

If it's a gen 2 then my guess would be that it is the central locking/window relay which is in around that area.

Often what happens is the wiring loom from drivers door into the relay gets damaged as the wires get stretched through continual opening/closing the door.

Ultimately the only way to find out would be to remove the parts of interior from that area and have a look (and listen)
                          Thanks
                          Rob Watson (forum owner and admin)

Comment

Working...
                          X