No announcement yet.

Strange clicking noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have noticed a similar noise in mine. a quiet constant ticking, the pace of which seems to be directly related to road speed. (not as fast a stone stuck in tyre - about a 1/4 of the speed and comming from behind lower drivers dash) I thought of speedo cable but then dissmissed it as I though the speedo was electronic??? I stand to be corrected.
    in the short term I just turn the radio on!! - but me thinks I should tackle this problem before somethings breaks.
    Any ideas / tests?
    Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Clicking noise is still there on mine. Some days it's there, others it's not. It doesn't seem to be speed related. I've tried switching various things on and off but to no avail. No doubt I've tried everything that you lot have but I'd be really interested in what you find from the bulb in the relay (very good idea by the way). In the meantime it's easily correct with the volume switch on the cd player!
      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

No. I must have been dreaming, as no clicking noise at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jaky cakes View Post
          I have noticed a similar noise in mine. a quiet constant ticking, the pace of which seems to be directly related to road speed. (not as fast a stone stuck in tyre - about a 1/4 of the speed and comming from behind lower drivers dash) I thought of speedo cable but then dissmissed it as I though the speedo was electronic??? I stand to be corrected.
          in the short term I just turn the radio on!! - but me thinks I should tackle this problem before somethings breaks.
          Any ideas / tests?
          Exactly the same thing happened to me, it drove me up the wall, try pressing the button to reset your miles/km counter, that's what mine was, the cogs hadn't meshed properly and the clicking noise was one cog slipping on another.
          HTH
          .....and then it turned blue, and dropped off!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fraser View Post
            Hi all. Yet another question which should probably have gone in the electrical forum.

I'm getting a really weird intermittant clicking sound comming from somwhere down on the R/H side of the dash area (almost in line with my right knee (& it's not my joints, so don't start). The sound is very like the click a relay makes when tripping or the sound of a flasher unit when operating but it's really random. It always has a paired sound (like tick tock), again, just like a relay tripping off & on. Sometimes it will click rapidly but in an irregular way, other times it will calm down & only click now & again. It seems to be worst first thing in the morning & decreases as the day goes on (or the car warms up?) Cornering left or right, bumpy road or smooth makes no difference so I don't think its something loose.

I's pretty loud. at least as loud as a flasher unit.

Anyone on here had similar experiences?

If so, please please tell me how you cured it.

Mike
            Mike,

Did you get this fixed?

I have the exact symptoms you describe on my 2nd Gen Surf. Started about 2 weeks ago and its driving me nuts!
            Regards,
            Andrew
            G0RVM

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              Taken from a 4Runner book....

1 = Starter relay.
              2 = Circuit breaker.
              3 = Heated rear window.
              4 = Sunroof.
              5 = ???
              6 = Taillight control relay.
              Number 5 is the horn relay
              Regards,
              Andrew
              G0RVM

Comment

a had a clicking too. mechanic said it was speedo cable and that would explain why the speedo was going mad too, was a really loud buzzing. funnily enough though its never done it again since a been to the clog.

Comment

Originally posted by asgawth View Post
                  Mike,

Did you get this fixed?

I have the exact symptoms you describe on my 2nd Gen Surf. Started about 2 weeks ago and its driving me nuts!
                  On a different tack, on our truck this was a loose arial wire on the back of the stereo, and the power arial relay was clicking everytime the truck went over a bump in the road and the arial went down momentarily, then up again.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Don't know if this is related but I just fitted a new cd player in my '91 surf today and whilst I had some of the wires disconnected on the power side of the ISO connector I was wiring in I got a regular loud clicking from the speakers.

The clicking went away after I connected all the wires up properly.

Maybe an earth issue. Never heard anything like it on any other vehicle.

Comment

I remember posting on this thread ages ago asking the same question. The clicking noise on mine went away when I replaced the old stereo unit with my DVD player. I can only assume that the clicking may have been due to a poor connection to the aerial relay, as already mentioned by Tony.
                      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fraser View Post
                        Hi all. Yet another question which should probably have gone in the electrical forum.

I'm getting a really weird intermittant clicking sound comming from somwhere down on the R/H side of the dash area (almost in line with my right knee (& it's not my joints, so don't start). The sound is very like the click a relay makes when tripping or the sound of a flasher unit when operating but it's really random. It always has a paired sound (like tick tock), again, just like a relay tripping off & on. Sometimes it will click rapidly but in an irregular way, other times it will calm down & only click now & again. It seems to be worst first thing in the morning & decreases as the day goes on (or the car warms up?) Cornering left or right, bumpy road or smooth makes no difference so I don't think its something loose.

I's pretty loud. at least as loud as a flasher unit.

Anyone on here had similar experiences?

If so, please please tell me how you cured it.

Mike

my truck does this. when i press the brake pedal it stops.
                        ive thought that whatever releases the gear leaver by the brake pedal is too sensative, because the brake lights dont come on randomly
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I had a problem with all my relays going nuts. Turned out to be a loose earth on the gearbox. You can just get to it from under the drivers wheel arch.
                          monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

drove my new one home yesterday and had this clicking noise too.. it happened when i switched the radio on so presume its the elec arial like Tony suggests

not that worried.
                            93, 3 Litre SSR-G Diesel
                            My Mongol Charity Rally rig, 8000 miles of corrupt cops, bandits with guns, mountains, deserts and all for charity!

Comment

Originally posted by jezzer View Post
                              Cheers guys,

Your help and advice is much appreciated!

Today I am going to use a small 12v lamp and push wires into the relay terminals so that I can see, by a process of elimination which relay is doing all the clicking. The annoying thing is that the clicking doesn't start until I go over about 40 to 50mph then it just happens randomly which makes it really hard to find.

Anyway, something else I wonder about is whether it is the speedo/odo gears making the noise. Does anyone know an easy way to diable the speedo for testing?

Cheers,

Jerry.

Hi there! Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have exactly the same problem that started about 2 weeks ago and is really annoying. Just like you it kicks in at about 45 mpg and then goes away at about 75mph. If you got it sorted I'd really appreciate knowing how!

Comment

seems I'm not the only one with this random clicking, changed the batteries in January and shortly after I noticed what sounds like a relay flicking on and off at random. Only happens when driving so it's not really possible to listen for which relay it is. The worrying thing is my ECU went tits up a few weeks later and I lost the top 2 gears and OD. Fitted a replacement (thanks Richard and Lee) and the old bus is driving perfectly again but the clicking is still there. Like others on this thread, I'd love to know what it is especially now that I've had an ECU die

Comment

Working...
                                X