Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel change???

Hi all.

Can anyone tell me please, if I change my standard 16" wheels to 15" would it cause any problems to the handling, gearing etc etc...

Cheers

Trev a total mechanical numbnutz.

Originally posted by TAZMAN
    Hi all.

Can anyone tell me please, if I change my standard 16" wheels to 15" would it cause any problems to the handling, gearing etc etc...

Cheers

Trev a total mechanical numbnutz.
    they won't fit, the disks on the fron are about 15 1/2" accross!
    if you look the tin guard on the back only just clears the 16s
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
      they won't fit, the disks on the fron are about 15 1/2" accross!
      if you look the tin guard on the back only just clears the 16s
      Thanks Matt. You've got some pukka wheels and tyres on yours. What you got and where'd you get them from mate?

Trev

Comment

Thanks Matt. You've got some pukka wheels and tyres on yours. What you got and where'd you get them from mate?

Trev
        they're they're on offer from www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.co. uk worked out at about £60 for the 4 including VAT and delivery (fitted and balanced). They're just chromed steel 16x7 with remould M/Ts (265/70R16) on... usually keep the standard alloys on for road though.

Comment

they're they're on offer from www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.co. uk worked out at about £60 for the 4 including VAT and delivery (fitted and balanced). They're just chromed steel 16x7 with remould M/Ts (265/70R16) on... usually keep the standard alloys on for road though.
          I've had a look and am tempted, did they go straight on? what do the M/T's handle like on the road?
          I understand the Colway tyres use the same tread pattern as the BFG's.
          I'd sooner go for the BFG's A/T's, but nobody seems to be able to get them around my way cos of the rim size.

Trev

Comment

I've had a look and am tempted, did they go straight on? what do the M/T's handle like on the road?
            I understand the Colway tyres use the same tread pattern as the BFG's.
            I'd sooner go for the BFG's A/T's, but nobody seems to be able to get them around my way cos of the rim size.

Trev
            the MTs are good on road (a little noisy, esp. on corners) they actually seem to grip better than my bridgestones.
            i went for the colway cos i'm only going to use them off road so speed rating/performance wasn't important (only rated at 100mph)
            the BFGs have a good reputation, but they do cost double the price!

the only trouble i had fitting the wheels was the offset wasn't quite enough so they rubbed on the calipers (very slightly) i solved this by putting some washers on first to space them out just a tad. (wheel spacers would be better but i couldn't get any quick enough!)

Comment

the MTs are good on road (a little noisy, esp. on corners) they actually seem to grip better than my bridgestones.
              i went for the colway cos i'm only going to use them off road so speed rating/performance wasn't important (only rated at 100mph)
              the BFGs have a good reputation, but they do cost double the price!

the only trouble i had fitting the wheels was the offset wasn't quite enough so they rubbed on the calipers (very slightly) i solved this by putting some washers on first to space them out just a tad. (wheel spacers would be better but i couldn't get any quick enough!)
              Nice one mate, thanks for your help. I remember seeing yours at the last pit meeting, I thought then they looked good. I'll have to re-think, cos I use mine everyday and have a bit of a lead to boot, so I need them to be good tyres.

Cheers

Trev

Comment

Have just ordered something for the weekend. A set of 31" remould MTs on steels are winging there way to me now. Cost £254 all in from www.formula4x4.com. There 15's so they wont fit yours but it may be worth giving them a ring to see what they have got.

Ian
                Objects in the rear view mirror are losing

Comment

Matt, is this what they call the backspacing of the rim? What I mean is did yours have too much backspacing? I see b'spacing talked about a lot on other forums but havent heard anyone mention here yet? I suppose less is best coz your wheels stick out more?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                    Matt, is this what they call the backspacing of the rim? What I mean is did yours have too much backspacing? I see b'spacing talked about a lot on other forums but havent heard anyone mention here yet? I suppose less is best coz your wheels stick out more?
                    To much and you wheels will hit the bumper ends and bulkhead, not enough and they will hit the frame. not sure of the exact measurements, but IFS truck have different B/S to solid axle pickups.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
                      Usually best to try stick close to the original spec where backspacing of offset is concerned. Too little and you can have brake clearance problems etc, too much and like tony says you can hit bumpers etc, another point is that with too much you also greatly increase the stresses on the wheel bearings often leading to premature failure.
                      Maurice
                      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                        Usually best to try stick close to the original spec where backspacing of offset is concerned. Too little and you can have brake clearance problems etc, too much and like tony says you can hit bumpers etc, another point is that with too much you also greatly increase the stresses on the wheel bearings often leading to premature failure.
                        Is it referred to as offset on the wheel itself? I'm a no-brainer when it comes to wheels
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                          Is it referred to as offset on the wheel itself? I'm a no-brainer when it comes to wheels
                          Try this http://www.311s.org/tech/wheels/offset.html for a more detailed explaination of wheel fitment terms.
                          Maurice
                          Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Working...
                          X