Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steel workers/fabricators and paint xperts

Just to dredge the river of knowledge on here

I fabricate small trailers, recently I have found that the steel stock I have been buying has been verry heavily coated with mill scale to the point that twist wire brushes in a 125mm grinder hardly touch it, but do have problems getting paint to stick/not chip off it.
    I have also been looking into useing water based paint because of fumes/envionmental issues/ saving on solvent. However I have had 'flash rusting' problems useing these
    once made and primed the trailers are spray finished in a professional paint shop
    With all the wealth of knowledge on here
    1. is there anything that can assist with removing mill scale
    2. is there a pre paint treatment to inhibit/kill rust that has been found to work
    3 what recomendations as to primer/paint - quick dry, low fume
    4 what is the best way to de-greese prior to paint ( i have been useing thinners but keep getting high in a small workshop!!)
    I am looking for non toxic / hazerdous / fumey? products if possible
    I am aware there are high levels of expertise on here and hope that someone is able to help
    Ta Muchly in advance
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Originally posted by fatfires

I fabricate small trailers, recently I have found that the steel stock I have been buying has been verry heavily coated with mill scale to the point that twist wire brushes in a 125mm grinder hardly touch it, but do have problems getting paint to stick/not chip off it.
    I have also been looking into useing water based paint because of fumes/envionmental issues/ saving on solvent. However I have had 'flash rusting' problems useing these
    once made and primed the trailers are spray finished in a professional paint shop
    With all the wealth of knowledge on here
    1. is there anything that can assist with removing mill scale
    2. is there a pre paint treatment to inhibit/kill rust that has been found to work
    3 what recomendations as to primer/paint - quick dry, low fume
    4 what is the best way to de-greese prior to paint ( i have been useing thinners but keep getting high in a small workshop!!)
    I am looking for non toxic / hazerdous / fumey? products if possible
    I am aware there are high levels of expertise on here and hope that someone is able to help
    Ta Muchly in advance
    1.3m do a plastic mop which fits into an angle grinder,they are very good at removing mill scale.
    2.etch primer is very good at stopping rust and keying paint to the base coat.
    3.i use a product called rustoleum.
    4 standard thinners.(not gun cleaner or cellulose)
    there are properbly more,but this is what i use.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
      3.i use a product called rustoleum.
      i use jenolite.
      Tim
      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Try Titanseal primer - speak to David Connor at Gennor Ltd. They are in Shoreham-by-Sea in West Sussex. Let me know if you want an email address/phone number and I'll PM it to you when I'm at work tomorrow.

This stuff is great - I use on water tanks, humidifiers, rusty bits of cars, the steelwork for my winch, garden tools, anything where steel goes rusty!
        David is the man to speak to on this, as he will be able to advise you on your particular application.

(I have no financial connection with Gennor - I have just used their stuff for quite a few years)

Regards
        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
          Try Titanseal primer - speak to David Connor at Gennor Ltd. They are in Shoreham-by-Sea in West Sussex. Let me know if you want an email address/phone number and I'll PM it to you when I'm at work tomorrow.

This stuff is great - I use on water tanks, humidifiers, rusty bits of cars, the steelwork for my winch, garden tools, anything where steel goes rusty!
          David is the man to speak to on this, as he will be able to advise you on your particular application.

(I have no financial connection with Gennor - I have just used their stuff for quite a few years)

Regards
          yes please on the contact details - sounds interesting!

re Jenolite , i have used the liquid but my bottle is nearly empty and the instructions are worn off, I know it was good but cant remember if it was; apply & leave, apply & wash or 2 coats and it doesn't apear to be available anymore, I dont think the jel in small tubes quite fit the bill!

Many thanks guys for the sugestions so far - please keep them comming, it realy is a help to have users endorce products and a little more truthfull than salesmen trying to convince you that theirs is the best thing since the Toyota Surf!!!!!!!!!
          Tony

Comment

i know the guy who bought Jenolite a few months back, i have been using it for ages anyway but ill see if i can get some details.
            Tim
            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

http://www.dgprotective.co.uk/jenolite.html
              http://secure.silmid.com/action_cata...~%5E0~%5ES~%5D
              Last edited by MattF; 14 November 2006, 12:26.

Comment

Why use wet paint at all? This will only scratch off and rust start again. i do a lot of work on custom bikes, choppers etc, we powder coat all our frames to give a good hard weraing finish

Comment

Tony (fatfires)

You have a PM
                  Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Why buy it with mill scale on? We used to buy mild steel plate which was "pickled and oiled". Exactly what it says on the tin. No mill scale and saves you loads of time trying to prep the steel.

I dont think the cost was much more (but I am going back 10 years when I was an engineer, steel has shot up now).

Found this stockists though who may be able to give you and idea on price.

http://www.cutlerandwoolf.co.uk/
                    -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires

I fabricate small trailers, recently I have found that the steel stock I have been buying has been verry heavily coated with mill scale to the point that twist wire brushes in a 125mm grinder hardly touch it.
                      Ask your suppliers not to buy cheapo cr@po Chinese steel then!

European stock always has a better finish.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                        Ask your suppliers not to buy cheapo cr@po Chinese steel then!

European stock always has a better finish.
                        couldn't agree more, but when stockholders are just selling it on and the demand is high there are times when I am lucky to be able to get any!
                        Used to get it from Dyfedd steel - then the quality went through the floor, price and delivery costs rocketed. The irony is, the excuse given was that China was buying all the high grade stuff, I am given to believe this cr@p stuff is eastern european
                        Tony

Comment

Working...
                        X