DAB radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DAB radio

can anyone recommend a DAB personal radio?
    my dad wants one for christmas...
    has to "pick up sport and radio 4"
    have "a headphone that goes in your ear"
    and "not too many buttons"

basically, i'll program whatever preset stations he wants and he just has to turn it on and press 1,2,3 etc. "like the car one"!!

so, i've seen one in curry's for £50 (ferguson) looks simple, but are they like normal radios where the cheap hand held ones don't pick up bugga all??

preferably powered by AA batteries so if he forgets to charge it, he can pop in the shop and stick a couple of duracells in.

no fancy beels and whistles, he's never heard of MP3 or PODCASTS!!

any suggestions?

thanks!
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

RADIOGRAM VALVES or TRANSISTORS
    CURRIES, DIXONS, COMET, ASDA etc all have them now.
    Last edited by marky; 12 November 2006, 22:45.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
      can anyone recommend a DAB personal radio?
      my dad wants one for christmas...
      has to "pick up sport and radio 4"
      have "a headphone that goes in your ear"
      and "not too many buttons"

basically, i'll program whatever preset stations he wants and he just has to turn it on and press 1,2,3 etc. "like the car one"!!

so, i've seen one in curry's for £50 (ferguson) looks simple, but are they like normal radios where the cheap hand held ones don't pick up bugga all??

preferably powered by AA batteries so if he forgets to charge it, he can pop in the shop and stick a couple of duracells in.

no fancy beels and whistles, he's never heard of MP3 or PODCASTS!!

any suggestions?

thanks!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...al%2Bradio.htm

Comment

I deliberatly left that one for you Vince
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

i was just looking at that one!... it's £10 more in the book!!

MattF, Kitesurfphil will be along to explain how DAB works and that it's actually cr@p in a minute!!

Comment

This one? http://www.dab-digital-radio.com/Intempodabradio.htm

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
              don't think it'll fit in his pocket.

Comment

don't think it'll fit in his pocket.

Well if he wants to keep in his pocket, he might aswell get a cheap ordinary radio and walk around a bit til he gets a good reception.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Well if he wants to keep in his pocket, he might aswell get a cheap ordinary radio and walk around a bit til he gets a good reception.
                  it's for on the train, gardening, and walking to the shop... stuff that retired people do!... (he sleeps a lot too, but the telly seems ok for that)

Comment

MattF, Kitesurfphil will be along to explain how DAB works and that it's actually cr@p in a minute!!
                    Is that a subtle way of saying one of the anoraks will be along soon?

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/dab.html

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                      nah, just anyone who knows if it's any good!!... tried currys, but the saturday to$$ers were in!... (the weekday to$$ers pretend to know more!)

Comment

nah, just anyone who knows if it's any good!!... tried currys, but the saturday to$$ers were in!... (the weekday to$$ers pretend to know more!)
                        Not payed too much attention to it, personally. If it follows the general
                        rules, however, it's either an all or nothing reception. Bit of a pokey area
                        reception wise, bugger all.

Comment

it's for on the train, gardening, and walking to the shop... stuff that retired people do!... (he sleeps a lot too, but the telly seems ok for that)
                          When did I retire?........

Comment

Aldi had some hand held dab radios a couple of weeks back looked very nice
                            Last edited by BIG GENERAL; 13 November 2006, 20:26. Reason: should have said Aldi

Comment

Originally posted by MattF

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/dab.html

OI i resembles these comments

The downside to a pocket DAB radio is they eat batteries like there is no tomorrow...

I use one in the truck cos I am fed up of having to retune those $$$$py radios they put in DAFs but i run it on a ciggy input... Also make sure you are in a area which has a transmitter nearby so as to get a good constant signal otherwise it sounds like he will be listening to things through water....When i plug mine into the front input on the truck it uses the truck as an aerial to keep a resonable signal on the desired station otherwise i too have to keep scanning for new transmitters. Otherwise its great to listen to something like Chill as described as Tai Chee for ears and the range is getting better by the day.

Buy the best to what your budget allows i have a Grundig and does what it says on the packet
                              Im not a gynacologist but ill have a look

Comment

Working...
                              X